Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going around Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer glider
Yea, We are really thinking about the ferry now. It's something different that we haven't done, and from what I been checking out, we won't really miss out on much from not riding around the lake.
If you decide on the ferry, make sure you get your tickets at least a few days ahead of time. They do get filled up. You can buy them online and you just show up at the dock with your reservation number.

http://www.lake-express.com/

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Haywired
Road Master

The Lake express is pretty quick. The Badger runs from Manitowoc to Ludington is a four hour trip.The Badger is an old coal fired boat that is pretty cool. It's kind of like a step back in time riding up on the open deck. Several things to do on board. I would take one of the boats to avoid Chi town.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the Lake Express, your time would be better spent skipping the lower part of Lake Michigan and riding M22 and M119 instead. Then you'll have time to hit H58 in the UP instead of dealing with Chicago traffic.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you take the Lake Express, make sure that you make reservations WELL in advance of your planned trip. We had visions of taking that option, but when we called for reservations, they were at least 6 days out. They only have a few spots for bikes. Their number is on their website. Don't be late, they wait for nothing or nobody. Some suggested they you bring your own tie-down straps along but others say that the Express provides tie-donws. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jay72
Some suggested they you bring your own tie-down straps along but others say that the Express provides tie-donws. Better safe than sorry.
Lake Express provides the tie downs buy you are responsible for tying your own bike down, they don't do it for you. The provided tie downs are pretty hefty, and I didn't have any issues.

They typically will only have room for 12 bikes, or sometimes as many as 20 depending on how many cars they have booked for the trip.

Sage advice is to get your reservation early to reserve a spot or you might find yourself riding through chitown anyway.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Haywired
The Lake express is pretty quick. The Badger runs from Manitowoc to Ludington is a four hour trip.The Badger is an old coal fired boat that is pretty cool. It's kind of like a step back in time riding up on the open deck. Several things to do on board. I would take one of the boats to avoid Chi town.
The environmental types are forcing the SS Badger to convert from coal to something more environmentally friendly in order to keep running into 2012 due to the amount of coal waste dumped into the lake during operation.

http://www.greatlakes.org/Page.aspx?pid=1264

Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now, I have another question, what is a good way to tie down a bagger on a ferry without damaging anything? I've tied down plenty of dirt bikes in the back of pick-up trucks and trailers, but really don't consider using the handlebars on my Ultra as a good anchor point. Being a new bike, I'm a little overprotective.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a set of these, make tieing your bike down a lot easier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kurya...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Around the bars would be the best way with the most stability. Harley has a soft tie down that's just ****.These 1-1/2" Ratchet Tie-Down Straps provide a heavy-duty 1800lb capacity for maximum tensioning power. The ratchet features a comfortable handle and a dual-direction reversing drive that permits gradual tension release. Just throw the lever and back off the tension a little at a time, reducing the "snap back" from most ratchet release designs. Straps feature integrated soft hooks, vinyl coated "s" hook on one end and a closed end carabiner hook that won't come unhooked during the tie-down process.

94706-10

Ratchet Straps with Integrated Soft Hook

Universal.

MSRP US $54.95

Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When my wife and I did a lap around Lake Michigan a few years ago, we took 10 days to do it, and felt like did not have time to see everything we wanted to. Mackinac Island is a fun place to waste an entire day. Stay in Mackinaw City for the night and take the ferry to ther Island for the day. Lots of cool places to stop along the way, like Petoskey, Sleeping bear Dunes, .... We did it with no particular plans - we just wandered around following signs to things that looked interesting. One of the best trips I have taken in years.

Quick Reply: Going around Lake Michigan