Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Another BRP Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Another BRP Ride

I got home Wednesday (7/13th) evening after a 6-day roadtrip which included riding the full length of BRP from south to north -- one of my bucket list items. I had ridden and/or driven on parts of the BRP at times past, so this time I was more focussed on the road than the (truly impressive) scenery. I can't compete with Mastery's account (http://harleyultra.blogspot.com/) and highly recommend anyone planning a similar ride should read the blog account; however, I do have a few comments to add.

On Day 1 (Friday) I rode from Baton Rouge, LA, to Chattanooga, TN. The one mechanical problem encountered in the whole trip struck when I was only about 120 miles from home: the toe peg fell off the shifter lever(!) Shifting was still possible, but awkward. I limped on to the HD dealer in Jackson, MS, bought a replacement and screwed it into place. In preparing for the trip I had gone over the bike checking critical fasteners, but obviously missed that one. Weather was seriously hot/humid, and even with drinking water at every gas stop by the time I got to Chattanooga, TN, I was seriously tired, risking dehydration. Got a room at a Best Western (Harley rate) and spent a good 30 minutes in the shower cooling off.

Day 2 (Saturday) -- Left the hotel after breakfast and rode on to Cherokee, NC, and onto the BRP. Lots of traffic of all types. I took advantage of the many overlooks to occasionally stop and enjoy the view, but really once you'e seen one foggy mountain top...

Everything on the BRP is located by "Milepost #__" -- but there are very few actual mileposts in place, so you have to keep track of your own progress (easy enough to do by odometer readings).

Decided to stop at Crabtree Meadows Campground for the night. CMC is a nice, basic, clean facility, surprisingly empty for a weekend. Standard rate is $16/night, but I have a senior pass so it cost me $8. The park ranger at check-in advised that they'd had a few bears wandering thru the campground, usual cautions about not keeping food accessible (there are bear-proof food lockers available). Got some suggestions and directions from the ranger for dinner -- he sent me down Hwy 80, a tiny twisty road that in some parts could rival the Dragon's Tail for pucker factor!

Day 3 (Sunday) -- Foggy damp morning. Still lots of traffic on the BRP. I had planned to visit Grandfathe.r Mountain, but when I got there it was totally fogged over. Rode on at an easy pace all day, decided to camp again at Peaks of Otter Campground. That was probably the worst campground I have ever voluntarily stayed at -- generally run down, crumbling pavement, restrooms were decrepit (didn't even have any lights). At least dinner was a pleasureable experience: Peaks of Otter Lodge (1/4-mile away) provided a good buffet at a surprisingly reasonable cost.

Day 4 (Monday) -- On the road again by 07:00, and popped out the northern end of the BRP about 10:00. Looking back, the road is a great ride whether you're interested in the scenery or not. Other than fog I had no problems with the weather (never had to don rain gear). Never saw any bears, but lots of deer and turkeys, and a couple of bewildered looking hound dogs (probably someone's hunting dogs).

After brunch at Cracker Barrell I decided to just wander around for the rest of the day, so I rode a loop into WV southward back into VA, ending the day at Big Stone Gap, VA. There I found the Comfort Inn Motel, 1960's style motel that was clean, comfortable and cheap ($45).

Day 5 (Tuesday) -- Rode across (east-west) the Appalachian Mountains over Black Mountain, highest point in KY. Weather deteriorated, started raining by the time I reached Cumberland, and I rode in rain of varying intensity for much of the day. Rain gear and FF helmet provided comfort and protection, but hands and feet still got soaked.

Stopped for the night at Best Western in Birmingham, AL, Nice place, and again, got the HD rate.

Day 6 (Wednesday) -- No rush today. After leisurely breakfast I headed home. Got off the interstate and took backroads across MS and into LA, arriving home about 5:00 PM.

Total mileage for the trip was 2,481 miles.
Fuel consumption averaged 39 MPG.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,085 Likes on 3,645 Posts

That sounds like a nice loop...Too bad about the fog...when it is clear it's wonderful...the road over black mountain to KY is pretty good ...Glad you had a safe enjoyable trip.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you have a favorite stretch of the BRP?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I actually haven't been on the BRP in 2 years...Nice but once you see it and all the rubberneckers and then find hidden treasure roads in the hills...you never run out of roads up there....i look at the map and choose the grey roads...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Hard to say... I think the southern (NC) half is more challenging and visually pleasing. As others have commented, you can find great riding anywhere on the entire 470 miles of BRP, plus almost any turn off the Parkway can be a real adventure!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's cool. Just curious since we rode about 100 miles of the BRP between Maggie Valley and Little Switzerland in May, and thought it was awesome.

Originally Posted by PPBART
Hard to say... I think the southern (NC) half is more challenging and visually pleasing. As others have commented, you can find great riding anywhere on the entire 470 miles of BRP, plus almost any turn off the Parkway can be a real adventure!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:07 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
I can't compete with Mastery's account (http://harleyultra.blogspot.com/) and highly recommend anyone planning a similar ride should read the blog account; however, I do have a few comments to add.
PBART, thanks for the kudos. Your ride report was enjoyable to read as well, and definitely brings back recent memories. Nice writeup!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahhh...hiway 80 towards Marion.....Definately wont find anyone pulling a trailer on the road!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
for ME.... it's the whole length..... VA is more scenic, while NC, tends towards the technical. Both are fun, and in the right frame of mind...... great rides.

We did the "end to end" tour last year. As we went during the week, traffic was light. That made the ride even more enjoyable. We had a small crowd... 5 riders. We took turns leading, so everyone would have a chane to stop where/when they wanted. Not the most efficent way, I suppose. But I'd rather ride 1500 miles with those people, than most of the folks I know.

+1 on the side trips..... most evey exit leads to a good road....even some of the "major highways" are fun...If I had the funds...
I think I could spend a month up there, and still not see/doo everything

Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Ahhh...hiway 80 towards Marion.....Definately wont find anyone pulling a trailer on the road!
Both ways....awesome ride...This is the first twisty road i ever took my wife on...she says after i drug the floorboards stop stop....i said you will just have to trust me ...loosen up and enjoy the view...she said OK...when we got to the top she said WOW....that was the best ride i have ever had....and she said you know you are right because if you don't worry about it you enjoy the ride a lot more...
Still one of my favorite roads...told a buddy of mine yesterday about it...