Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Little River Road off us-441, GSMNP

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Little River Road off us-441, GSMNP

Is this a through road? I'm leaving on Wednesday for some more time in the area, and I'm curious how far Little River Road runs off of US-441.

It looks like it might run all the way to Townsend, and if it's paved the whole way, I might give it a shot. Looks like an interesting ride.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is a good paved road and you can go to Townsend. 35 mph and adhere to it......the Rangers are very particular about speeding.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a nice scenic road that runs along a river most of the way. I enjoyed it very much!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the highlights of the Smokies! If you are coming from the 441 side, you will see the road at a major intersection adjacent to the Sugarlands Visitor Center. From there, it's a gentle, curvy road that runs alongside the Little River most of its length. On the weekends, be prepared for LOTS of traffic, and you won't have any trouble keeping the speed limit or below. Patience is a virtue on this road, but the scenery is terrific and worth the slow pace.

Pick up a picnic lunch in Gatlinburg or Cherokee, depending on where you are coming from, since there are no commercial facilities on the Little River Road. You'll want to stop and enjoy a leisurely lunch by the stream or a waterfall. The Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area is a good stop.

At the western end of the road is The Wye, where you would turn right to go to Townsend or continue straight along Cades Cove Road. Cades Cove Road is beautiful, but even more slow than the Little River Road because of the abundant wildlife. All it takes is one car to slow or stop in the middle of the road because of a deer or a bear and this six mile leg takes two hours. On a hot day, it would be uncomfortable.

Ahhh, but don't miss the Little River Road! From Townsend on the west side, it's a great ride along the Foothills Parkway which drops you at the end of the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and lots of other great roads.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Thanks, guys!

I understand about the traffic, and we might have to ride it on a friday. Not too thrilled about that, but we only have three days.

We will likely be coming FROM Townsend, and the hit 441, back through Cherokee and down to the road to nowhere in Bryson City.

One more wakeup and I'm heading that way!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like an awesome trip! We hit the Little River Road last Saturday and it was moving acceptably, despite the heat. On a Friday, you should be in great shape. The grocery store in Townsend behind the fly shop has a great deli for making a lunch. Take lots of pictures!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a safe trip and remember to keep your eyes on the road which is hard to do when riding up there. Ride safe!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

My brother and I rode Little River Road yesterday, and it was a great ride. We found a quiet, shady spot to eat out sandwiches for lunch by the river. Thanks for that suggestion, Pastor John. 441, on the other hand, was extremely crowded and far too busy. We'll be trying a short section of the BRP tomorrow and finishing up some things before we have to head for home.

Pics later.

Last edited by monkey sammich; 07-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Hope your trip was great! We were up on the BRP this weekend and spent most of the time in the rain and fog, with very cool temperatures. But Sunday was nice!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

It was great, Pastor John. And thank you for the advice on Little River Road. My brother and I took it, and it was only a little crowded. We found a great little spot down by the river to chill out and eat our lunches, and take some nice pics.

When we hit 441, he just HAD to get a Hillbilly H-D shirt, though. Gatlinburg was a mess.

Quick Reply: Little River Road off us-441, GSMNP