Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
kuma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Blue ridge parkway

Was kicking the idea around about me and wife leaving Jacksonville Fl area, and running the entire Blue ridge parkway.
Anyone ever run the whole thing?
What to expect in time to do it comfortable?
Where are the cheaper exits to get off at for motel,gas etc...
Doing this on a 2010 Road Glide Custom.
Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Do it. I did it last year in May. More traffic in summer but less rain. Most exits have reasonable motels. Avoid Tuggles Gap Inn. Funkiest place I've ever seen but it was cheap. Plan a week on the BRP and you won't feel rushed.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live where the Parkway and Skyline Drive join together, plan on riding the drive also if time permits. Speed on the parkway is 45 mph where the Skyline Drive is 35 mph. Great overlooks on both, lodging and meals are available at certain points, and exits are fairly close together if you need to get off. Summer has less rain and the cooler temps are a blessing. Watch out for the animals but overall this is a trip well worth the taking and you will enjoy the ride. Get yourself a travel brochure and highlight the stops you will want to take...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

We just got back three weeks ago and it was awesome. There was 7 of us so we took a leisurely pace so we could stop often. We did it in three days started at the southern end. First night we stopped in Spruce Pine NC just north of Asheville. neat little motel called the Pine Bridge Inn. It was 55.00 a night. It used to be an old school and was really neat and clean. Very nice owners. the second night we stopped over in Buena Vista VA. Stayed at the Buena Vista Motel. very clean, large rooms nice Indian family owners. It was 60.00 a night. we finished the parkway on Day three and headed to Skyline drive.

We didn't feel rushed in three days but didn't get off the Parkway much. Mabry Mill is a must stop to eat. it's right on the Parkway so expect a crowd. Little Switzeland was kind of a letdown, not much to see there. We also stopped at the Mayberry Store. That's the store Andy Griffin used to go to as a boy and his inspiration for the fictional town of Mayberry.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is an awesome ride !

Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Another thing, as pointed out already, Do not speed on the Parkway or Skyline, it's patrolled and lots of wildlife. I wouldn't ride the Parkway after dark. we rode until dusk every day and the animals come out right at dusk. We had two deer run out in front of us on two consecutive days and turkeys hang out just waiting to run/ fly in front of you.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did the entire trip last week beginning at the northern end. Got on the parkway at 10am after a 2 hour ride from home. Took a leisurely pace south bound stopping at several scenic overlooks. Lunch at the Peaks of Otter restaurant was not bad and not as overpriced as I had thought. we try to get gas on exits where the stations are close to the parkway. we used Vinton, VA and Spruce Pine, NC. stayed the first night in Hillsville, VA at the best western which was only about 6 miles off parkway near marker 200. Very clean and bikes parked right outside rooms.

AS other said, watch out for deer as we saw lots. No bears though. 45 is a good speed as there were tons of bicycles out in the right side of lane doing 5 mph or less up hills. Very dangerous.

One 20 mile or so detour for a parkway closure about 20 miles south of NC border takes you through a small town and on a few back roads. We didn't lose much time.

Made it to Maggie Valley, NC the 2nd night again at a best western just a few miles from the southern end. Good, clean, very reasonably priced place to stay with plenty of good roads in area, restaurants and the Wheels through time museum. If you have time, several hours at least, do the wheels through time.

Easy to do in 2 days as it is only 469 miles but three would give you more time for overlooks, etc. There are several web sites with info as well as tons on the forum.

If you have other questions just pm me and I will try to answer as the trip is still very fresh.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A must do. Me and my wife done it two years ago took us three days and it was one of the best trips we ever took.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 AM
kuma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the exits marked which ones have gas. I truly plan on enjoying the ride, not speeding, love to take it in. Sailrider1 where is the mayberry store exit an such.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Kuma, I make the entire run once a year and several shorter trips during year on daytrips or weekends. Definitely one of the greatest rides in the country!

If you have time, get a copy of Nye Simmons' "Best of the Blue Ridge Parkway" from Amazon or B&N - it's a great resource for planning your trip and gives gas and lodging listings for each segment of the roadway.

From Jacksonville, beeline it to Cherokee to start from the south end. Lots of additional great riding in that area if you have an extra day or two. On the north end, Waynesboro has all the amenities of a mid-size town and is the starting point for Skyline Drive as well, another great roadway.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you google Blue Ridge Parkway there is lots of info. The exits really aren't marked except with maybe a route number or town name.

The below link shows which exits have fuel.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=50

We had no trouble with fuel; Northern end just before the parkway started, Vinton, VA and then at our stop in Hillsville, VA. In NC easy fuel in Spruce Pine and then we fueled up in Maggie Valley. We never went more than 4 miles off the parkway for fuel. If you have a GPS they are helpful on locating food and fuel.

That web site has lots of helpful info.

Quick Reply: Blue ridge parkway