Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma
Are the exits marked which ones have gas. I truly plan on enjoying the ride, not speeding, love to take it in. Sailrider1 where is the mayberry store exit an such.
The Mayberry Store is right before you get to Mabry Mill if your going Northbound. I believe there was a sign marking the exit. I suggest ordering the FREE Blue Ridge Parkway guide from the website. It's an awesome source of information on the parkway.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
kuma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay ordered the Blueridge packet info....I only have 4 days from time I leave till I get back to Jacksonville florida..

Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Be sure to ride up to Mt Mitchell the view is incredible. Also there is restrooms and a snack bar there for coffee or drinks and it makes a nice stopping place. Also be sure to ride The Devil's Staircase (Hwy 80) and Diamondback (Hwy 226A) Ride the Diamondback Loop as seen here http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.html makes a nice liitle loop and you can get gas at the bottom after Tom's Creek Road. Again makes a nice little side trip and it is a killer ride.

There is a pretty good little BBQ joint just off the BRP at the Spruce Pine exit. It will be on the left before you get into Spruce Pine. I believe it is called Bama Q. Also stop at mile post 248 Hwy 18 exit at Stations Inn. This is where the detour is at runs you through Laurel Springs here is a map of the detour http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/loa...&PageID=348897

Enjoy your ride.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM
kuma
Cruiser

I hoping to get all this in Ive been on the dragon and others. My wife on the other hand has never been up there. So i want the best enjoyable ride for us both scenic.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 AM
madmax54
Cruiser
Default Must see

+2 on Hwy. 80 and 226A. The view from the top is similar to being in an airplane, you are on the edge of the Blue Ridge. The view at the bottom is a beautiful mountain Lake, with a house in the water! Check it out...

Attached Thumbnails Blue ridge parkway-house-in-the-lake.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Everyone is talking about exits. Is this an interstate? I thought it was a 2 lane road. I am going this weekend with a couple other bikes. Sure have been looking forward to this trip.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for info...subscribing

Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yup,
entire length once a year...
I take 2 1/2 days, I stop quite a bite 5-10 minutes,
cruz about 40
Asheville and Fancy Gap for overnight...
Little hotel @ Fancy Gap Country View Inn,, was nice enought for 1 night not bad..

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by madmax54
+2 on Hwy. 80 and 226A. The view from the top is similar to being in an airplane, you are on the edge of the Blue Ridge. The view at the bottom is a beautiful mountain Lake, with a house in the water! Check it out...
It is actually the club house for the Lake Tahoma landowners and not a house that is lived in anymore.

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
Everyone is talking about exits. Is this an interstate? I thought it was a 2 lane road. I am going this weekend with a couple other bikes. Sure have been looking forward to this trip.
It is a 2 lane road but does have exits off of it. It runs along other roads but it is a parkway that you enter onto and exit off of. It is a great ride and has many interesting things to stop and look at. Linville Falls is a great stop. You have to walk a bit to get to the falls but it well worth it. The upper falls are great. Really gives you a chance to stretch the legs there. Also ride to the top of Mt Mitchell the view form the tower is unreal.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also recommend Grandfather Mountain. The last part of the ride is tricky but the view from the swinging bridge is nothing less than breath taking.

Quick Reply: Blue ridge parkway