Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atlanta to San Antonio in one day plus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure it's doable but doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I did outside of Fort Worth to Daytona with my older son this year and we did it in two days, about 1300 miles. I was beat by the time I got there and we got in late each night...Stayed in New Orleans but couldn't enjoy since we got in near midnight.

Father and two sons leave out Friday Morning 9-10 from Hotlanta, arrive New Orleans in time for a nice meal, some drinks and people watching. Then a nice breakfast in the morning and heading to San Antonio by 9AM to arrive 5pm and be on the Riverwalk by 7PM does sound like a nice time.

Problem with sons is they don't realize how much fun a ride with them is to us ... /-: and they ride to slow (-:

Obviously trying to avoid a vacation day Friday but perhaps they can do something to arrange halve day Friday

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son and I are leaving Beaufort, SC tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. Riding straight through to Fort Worth, TX... 1,066 miles. We'll be completing an Iron Butt Saddlesore. After that, turning north towards Denver... after a LONG sleep. We're shooting for Sturgis next weekend. By the time we're done... 6,000 miles in 12 days. Of course, neither one of us are strangers to long distance riding. However, I would NOT recommend this for everyone.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17 to 18 hours driving time. DFW to Auburn, AL is 12 hours, another 1.5 hours to Atlanta. DFW to San Antone is about 4 to 4.5 hours. All interstate highway.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 AM
blade76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! We did our trip, and for those interested, here's how it played out. We left north suburbs of Atlanta between 5 and 6 on Thursday (not great timing, unless you like sitting still on hot pavement in the middle of Atlanta!), hit some rain in Alabama and made it to about 40 miles north of Mobile that night. Friday we headed out about 8:30 Central time and made it to San Antonio in 12 hours (including an hour for lunch and gas stops). We took I-85 to I-65 to I-10 to I-12 to I-10. It rained a good bit through Louisiana. We hit Houston at rush hour on a Friday (perfect timing again), but it wasn't exceptionally bad westbound (we never had to put our feet down, anyway). I didn't enjoy that stretch - it sucks - hot and seems to go on forever. The good part was the rain cooled everything down east of Houston, and we had great temperatures except Houston to San Antonio, then it was dry, but hot.

We took Saturday off and headed back Sunday morning, this time stopping for the night in New Orleans. San Antonio to New Orleans took us 10 hours (including an hour lunch break and gas stops), but we detoured from I-10 somewhere and took 40 down the coast to New Orleans. Monday it was pouring down in New Orleans. That place just doesn't drain! After lunch we headed up I-10, but this time took 59 by Meridian to Birmingham and then I-20 in to Atlanta. It rained until Meridian. We made it back in 8.5 hours, but unfortunately got dumped on one more time ten minutes from home Monday night.

It was great riding with the boys, but dang they want to go fast. I hit 90's just trying to keep up! I have my '09 Heritage built up to 103 with the SE255 cams, and a constant 80-85 mph or more for hours on end really eats into the mileage. I got about 35 mpg and was always the bike that needed to stop first. I won't forget the trip, but I wouldn't do it again. The distance and time was fine (we've done a good bit of cross country), but nothing particularly exciting about the geography.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain

Sounds like a nice memorable experience. To bad you couldn't have pulled some of the rain over this way!
Geographically it is certainly not one of the best areas around although you could have taken a day ride into the Texas Hill country just west of San Antonio on Saturday if you were up to it. the Gulf Coast of FL, AL MI is also very nice as far as scenery but it doubles the time over that section.

There are nice roads most anywhere but when you restrict yourself to the interstates, for whatever reason, you just aren't going to see them.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitex
Fellow Riders
I am relatively new to Harley ownership and am contemplating a long distance ride. I have a 2009 FXDC with stock seat. I rode 250 miles the other day and took a break at the midpoint of the trip;but, by the end of the second leg, my butt was hurting.
How far can you typically ride before you have to take a break?
What does "in the cage" mean?
Are there other stock Harley seats that would fit my bike that are more comfortable? such as a Touring seat, Fat Bob, etc.
How do you find the answers to questions like these?
Thanks in advance
I don't know about a stock seat, but my Mustang seat allows me to ride 2.5x longer than my stock seat did. I would choose Mustang again and again. There are a lot of people who are firm on Corbin and other brands though. I'd say do a search on here and there is plenty of seat talk. Personally I've seen the masses vote for Mustang, others would beg to differ. Before the change, I did 12 hours and could barely move. After the seat, 12 hours seemed like child's play. I hope this was helpful.

Originally Posted by blade76
Thanks for all the advice! We did our trip, and for those interested, here's how it played out. We left north suburbs of Atlanta between 5 and 6 on Thursday (not great timing, unless you like sitting still on hot pavement in the middle of Atlanta!), hit some rain in Alabama and made it to about 40 miles north of Mobile that night. Friday we headed out about 8:30 Central time and made it to San Antonio in 12 hours (including an hour for lunch and gas stops). We took I-85 to I-65 to I-10 to I-12 to I-10. It rained a good bit through Louisiana. We hit Houston at rush hour on a Friday (perfect timing again), but it wasn't exceptionally bad westbound (we never had to put our feet down, anyway). I didn't enjoy that stretch - it sucks - hot and seems to go on forever. The good part was the rain cooled everything down east of Houston, and we had great temperatures except Houston to San Antonio, then it was dry, but hot.

We took Saturday off and headed back Sunday morning, this time stopping for the night in New Orleans. San Antonio to New Orleans took us 10 hours (including an hour lunch break and gas stops), but we detoured from I-10 somewhere and took 40 down the coast to New Orleans. Monday it was pouring down in New Orleans. That place just doesn't drain! After lunch we headed up I-10, but this time took 59 by Meridian to Birmingham and then I-20 in to Atlanta. It rained until Meridian. We made it back in 8.5 hours, but unfortunately got dumped on one more time ten minutes from home Monday night.

It was great riding with the boys, but dang they want to go fast. I hit 90's just trying to keep up! I have my '09 Heritage built up to 103 with the SE255 cams, and a constant 80-85 mph or more for hours on end really eats into the mileage. I got about 35 mpg and was always the bike that needed to stop first. I won't forget the trip, but I wouldn't do it again. The distance and time was fine (we've done a good bit of cross country), but nothing particularly exciting about the geography.
It does actually sound pretty dry. I love traveling, and that route was boring when I endeavored in my cage. There's no choice but to go fast there lol - gotta have some kind of excitement. I'm with you though as I have pulled around and slowed the group I ride with down a couple times when we were traveling. Sometimes going fast takes away from the trip. I haven't had the problem though where the bike needed a break though from cruising 90+ for 100 mi or so...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

5 of us left Atlanta (4 RGs HQs120, HQs107 and two stock and 1 SESG) Jul 30 headed to Los Angeles via Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam and the Round Up in Las Vegas. 1st day we stopped in OKC, 2nd day we stopped in Albuquerque, NM 3rd day went to Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam stayed in Vegas for the night. Next day went to L.A. came back to vegas the next day.

Trip home Vegas to Amarillo; got up the next day went from Amarillo to Atlanta -- 22 hours. Thank God it started raining by the time we got to Memphis

5200 miles and 11 days later back and wrist still giving me some pain--it was 98+ from Mempis to San Bernadino, CA.

It was a great adventure.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
TxWolfman
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can do it!

I rode that far the first time I ever sat on a Harley. I flew to Dayton (Huber Heights actually), Ohio where I bought the bike. Left there at 2:30 PM and rode until 10:30 and got a hotel room. Left out at 5:30 the next morning and arrived home in west Fort Worth, TX at 2:30 that afternoon. 1100+ miles in 24 hours. I was so happy with my new bike I couldn't wait for my wife to get home so I could take her for a dinner ride that evening.

Have fun and ride safe!

Last edited by TxWolfman; 09-06-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 PM
ronnieg
Advanced

the "circulator pad" that H-D offers for sale is your best bet. I just bought one and used it for a nine day ride....Won't go on any long hauls without... Another one is the gel seat cushion that you can buy from Costco... alot cheaper but good as well...If you have room take the two of them, just for the change.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
buckyh
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did Rock Hill, SC to Port Allen, LA a couple of months ago in one day, dodging rain most the way. Stock seat on 2008 FLSTC with Alaska Leather sheepskin = no Monkey Butt! Best $$ I have ever spent on a bike. I had on on my Concours and let it go with the bike like a dumb a$$.

Quick Reply: Atlanta to San Antonio in one day plus?