Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rocky Mountain National Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Rocky Mountain National Park

Any tips for riding in and around RMNP this summer?
My brother is coming from MN and me being new to CO I want to show him Estes Park, RMNP and maybe even a side trip to MT Evans... Would like to stay North of Denver for the most part...

I plan on going up to RMNP tomorrow and check it out as well just thought I would ask here for more info.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

You can ride over the top and return that way but there are a couple other loops you can also ride. The Estes-Granby-Idaho Springs-Denver loop will dump you right back onto I-70, which can not be a lot of fun at times. The Estes-Granby-Willow Pass-Walden-Ft. Collins is a better ride for less traffic but its definitely a much longer ride. When traveling over Trail Ridge Road you're still going to find drifts of snow at top. When we ride over it we always wear long-sleeve T's, a pull-over (UnderArmour 3/4 zip works well), by riding jacket and rain gear. When it starts blowing and the temp drops its really nice to have the rain gear to cut the cold wind. If this is your first time over the top my recommendation would be to stop often and get to know the flavor of the local towns. I personally like to walk about Grand Lake and take in the scenery. Overall, this ride is one of the top 3-4 rides in Colorado. Have fun and keep an eye for deer, moose and elk along the road.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking My advise....

...would only be DO IT, DO IT, DO IT.
My brother used to live in Denver, he took us there for a couple of days.
Too bad I didn't have my bike with me, would have made for an AWESOME ride.
Make sure you give yourself plenty of time, there is something picture worthy around every bend in the road.

GSF

Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
sunsetdriver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I made that trip last fall. It was a great time, and a very beautiful sight. All I can suggest right now is to check and make sure that the snow has melted off the roads and that the roads are passable. I know that some of our higher elevation roads here in Utah still have snow on them.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out "sfarson" here on the forum. He has many routes around CO and includes that as part of his ride suggestions. Steve is like the unofficial motorcycle route ambassador of Colorado!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

Whiskers, Thanks for the recommendations and also Thanks tphillips, I will do a search on him.

Whiskers, did the estes park, grandby, idaho springs, route as I was really just checking the trail ridge road out and other than traffic going into Denver saturday morning and some traffic on 70 by Idaho Springs the ride was beautiful. I will be posting a ride report and some pics. We will be doing the northern route when my brother shows up.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

You live in Colorado Springs? I live in Pueblo but work there. Maybe we can get together for a cup some day?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

Absolutely, would love to meet some new friends especially if they ride!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser

All of the above is good stuff, but it is almost Monsoon season so bring some warm weather and rain gear as it can get cold and wet pretty fast. I was there on the bike last year and loved every mile of it!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

I was there 2 days ago. We went up through Estes Park and rode through the Rocky Mountain National Park down to Granby. It was an unbelievable ride. The scenery was spectacular and there was plenty of wildlife. It was a little chilly up above 10,000 ft.

After spending the night in Dillon, Colorado, I topped off a 4-day 3,000 mile ride by doing an undocumented 16 hour 1,005 mile Iron Butt ride back to Phoenix. I had no intention of riding that far yesterday, but I felt good and kept on going and going...

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain National Park