Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Georgia to Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Georgia to Wisconsin

Hey guys,

Taking the bike up to Jamie for some work. Leaving after the 4th of July. I have never been to Chicago or Milwaukee. Plan on visiting the HD Museum while I am there. What are some must see places to see in Illinois and Wisconsin? As far as the road I am traveling I have not decided this yet. Any suggestions would be great.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

If you take I94 get off Taylor St exit and go to the unique Mario's Lemonade. Been going there since 1978, whenever I am in Chicago. Don’t go to Al's Beef, they suck, now. But do a Google search and find a good Chicago Hot Dog, and then a deep dish Pizza along your route. Have to try both in Chicago.

Best museum is Science and Industry. I wouldn't park my bike there though. Would park in secure lot, like hotel or some private lot with security. Then take cab there, not mass transit.

http://chicago.m.metromix.com/mobile/restaurants/italian/marios-italian-lemonade-little-italy-university-village/134853/content

Racine is Town south of Milwaukee, famous for Danish bakery. Get a Kringle at O and H bakery. I bought my bike at Racine HD. Great people.

http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/

Best part of Milwaukee is Miller Park. Go on Stub Hub and get tickets to a game. PM me if you needs help picking seats. Or if you want other ideas. I've lived in Chicago, Racine, Green Bay and now live in central WI.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Sounds like a great trip! I've lived in the Milwaukee area the past 15 years and am glad to help!

If you want great Chicago pizza - check out Giordano's in Chicago. Their pizza is about 3 inches thick and takes about an hour to bake but it is damn yummy!

In the Milwaukee area, there's a lot of cool stuff to do. Too bad you are coming after the 4th of July, because you could have had a great time at Summerfest, which runs through the 4th of July weekend. Tons of great music and scenery!

For a great place to cruise in Milwaukee, head down Lincoln memorial drive. Lincoln memorial is at the Lake Michigan lakefront starting where I794 hits the Lake. It starts by the Milwaukee art museum and heads up the Lake Michigan lake shore, eventually turning into Lake Drive which takes you through the north suburbs of Milwaukee where there are a lot of fantastic homes. On Lincoln memorial is Bradford Beach, which is THE beach for eye candy around Milwaukee. It's walking distance to the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee and full of volleyball courts, and often live music. Be careful riding around Bradford Beach, though, cuz it can be downright dangerous because of all the eye candy. I've nearly wrecked there a few times!

There's a lot of scenic rides to the west and north of Milwaukee. If you take Hwy 94 West out of Milwaukee about 30 min you will hit Hwy 67. Take Hwy 67 south and it takes you through some beautiful areas of what is known around here as the "Kettle Morraine". Wisconsin has several "Rustic Roads" that are clearly marked with brown signs that are always awesome to drive down. North of milwaukee is an old religious shrine called "Holy Hill". There's a bunch of cool roads around Holy Hill, too, and you can see the steeples of Holy Hill in the distance for about 5 miles all around it.

Every weekend in Milwaukee there are festivals going on. If it's not Summerfest or the state fair, there are ethnic festivals that are held on the Summerfest grounds. Polish, French, German, Italian, Native American, etc. The biggest ones are the French and German ones. The Italian one is pretty fun, too.

There's a ton of great microbrewery's around Milwaukee with great beer and food. Check out Water Street Brewery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Lakefront Brewery or the Milwaukee Ale House.

Feel free to PM me for any other suggestions.

Have a great trip!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default fun trip

Good day
Attached is a great site for Wisconsin roads; http://www.statetrunktour.com/index.php
I agree 67 is a good one. Try Miss Katy's Diner and you have to go to Real Chili near the Marquette campus.
It is tough getting into Chicago from the east or south. Gary and South Side of Chicago suck. Just figure out the way you want into the city and don't stray into bad neighborhoods. Maybe expressways are best. In chicago, Giordano's is really good, it is a stuffed pizza. The real chicago pizza is at Uno's or Due's downtown. Any of the Lou Malnati's are good.
Go to 500 Block of Jackson to Lou Mitchells for breakfast, double yolk eggs. It's the start of Route 66 too.
I would suggest taking Lake Shore Drive north. It's beautiful. You will be slowed down when it becomes Sherican Road but that is about 4 miles of city stop and go. Then stay on Sheridan Road through Evanston (just take all the right hand turns after the cemetary) You will go through nice old neigborhood then you will have the Lake on your right, Then Northwestern University. Stay on Sheridan until it ends at Green Bay Road. Just there will be the Bahai Temple Stop and walk around it. YOu can then take Green Bay all the way up into Wisconsin (St rt. 32 in Wisconsin.) I would suggest you go west on 50 to I-94 and go over the express way. There is the world famous Brat Stop. Be a tourist, stop and have a couple brats.
You can then back to 32 or take I-94 up into Milwaukee. Construction at the area leading up to the airport.

Get in touch if you have questions etc

Attached Thumbnails Georgia to Wisconsin-easter-2011.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Thanks guys for all the input. I never would have know about the Brat Stop! Looking forward to the ride!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will you be up? I have Brewer tix on the 10th with some friends, you're welcome to pick up a ticket and come tailgate with us if you want.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Originally Posted by mjolnir
When will you be up? I have Brewer tix on the 10th with some friends, you're welcome to pick up a ticket and come tailgate with us if you want.
I will let you know. That would be great! The only thing I have on the schedule is Jamie on the 13th. The rest of the time I just go with the flow. Back roads from Georgia through some beautiful Tennessee and Kentucky country side you just do not know where you will end up next! I am really looking forward to this trip. I have been all over the world but never to Chicago or Wisconsin! Wisconsin may never be the same after I leave!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Feel free to hit me up when you're in the area. I can PM you my #. I'd be happy to take you on a tour of some of the better roads around Southeast Wisconsin. Always looking for an excuse to ride!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
harleydavidone
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Google "Land between the lakes" it is a nice drive thru on your way there or back

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back from picking up my bike from Fuelmoto last night, had the 107" and B Heads done. Unreal performance increase.

Also I live in Wisconsin, some of the best roads are the Rustic Roads. I'll be just getting back from Tennessee when your here PM if you have any problems.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/maps.htm

Quick Reply: Georgia to Wisconsin