Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tulsa to the Bourbon Trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011 | 07:21 PM
Larry the Landlord
|
Road Captain
Default Tulsa to the Bourbon Trail

We are leaving Tulsa next week. Our plans are Jack Daniels, Corvette Museum and the Bourbon Trail. Any suggestions on other stops?
We are planning on taking Highway 412 just because it ends up close to JD Distillery. Any thoughts on this or other routes?
We will be gone a week, taking camping gear, but may stay in a motel a night or 2.
Thanks,
Larry

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:20 PM
Haywired
Road Master

We did our honeymoon in Bardstown, KY in our camper a few years back and really enjoyed that area. We camped at the My Old Kentucky Home state park right in Bardstown. Bardstown was a good area with lots of good back roads and in the heart of the Bourbon road area. We toured Makers Mark in Loretto, Heaven Hill which is about a 1/2 mile from the campground and Jim Beam. We also visited the civil war battlefield at Perryville and the museum in Bardstown. In downtown Bardstown was the Old Talbot's Inn where they had about 80 different kinds of bourbon for us to try. We also went up to Louisville one day and toured Churchill Downs and the slugger factory. My favorite parts were Makers Mark and the Old Talbots Inn downtown. The bartender knew his bourbons and got me hooked on 4 roses single barrel after I tried a bunch of other brands. The Beam tour was probably my least favorite. The Makers Mark tour was similar to Jack Daniels which we did about 12 years ago and was a good tour.We drove part of the Blue Grass Parkway after we left Bardstown and went up past Fort Knox where we stopped at the George Patton Museum. If you like tanks, this place was awesome. They have rebuilt the museum since we were there and it is more impressive than it was from what I understand. Send me a PM if you want to see our pics from the area.

Old 06-04-2011 | 09:02 AM
bamarider
Tourer

We toured the Bourbon Trail and it was a great ride. If you tour all 6 on the Bourbon trail you get a T-shirt. Make sure you ask for your stamp card on your first tour. Jim Beam was also my least favorite. It was just okay but they were about to start building a huge visitor center. Easy to get lost in some of the places so make sure you have a good map or GPS. Don't forget about George Dickell. It is not far from Jack Daniels. Make sure you know the times of the tours on the Bourbon Trail. Adjust your schedule or you will miss out on some of the tours.

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:44 AM
Larry the Landlord
|
Road Captain

Thanks, guys.
We are leaving Thursday AM, getting pretty excited.

Old 06-08-2011 | 08:20 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Let us know how your trip was when you get back. Have a great time!

Old 06-09-2011 | 09:16 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Haywired
Let us know how your trip was when you get back.
+1...We're thinking about doing the Bourbon Trail late summer/early fall and I'd like to hear your impressions and suggestions.