Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arizona Ride - Coronado trail

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arizona Ride - Coronado trail

Rode the Coronado Trail today from Clifton to Greer. Fantastic ride. Twisties for miles and mild curves mixed in to allow you to get on it. Road was in great shape after you passed Clifton but a lot of tar snakes and gravel near Clifton due to the big trucks working the biggest mining operation I've ever seen.

Had two near misses. The first was near Clifton when I was accelerating uphill on a tight u-turn and I hit a tar snake and gravel. Rear end slid out big time but luckily I recovered. 2nd was about halfway through the trail when a deer ran across the road right in front of me. I had to grab and press both brakes hard to avoid hitting it.

No harm, no foul but I will be hitting the tequila shots at the Molly Butler Lodge in Greer Az in a few.

Tomorrow, more back roads and sight seeing.

Oh...and I don't take pictures while on a bike trip...sorry.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I road that with my wife last summer. It makes the Devils Tail look like a trip to 7-eleven. We had only 2 cars pass us going the other way, very little traffic.
The road used to be called the devils highway and even was marked the 666 on it's road signs till some one whined about it.
Ton's of cornering mixed in with some straights for 150 miles+. It,s the kind of road you wish you had a well handling crotch rocket to ride over it.
We saw Eagles ( one was flying with a big snake in it's beak), deer and even spotted a couple of wolves.
If you're ever in the area try and make your way to the Coronado Trail, it's one of those roads you'll remember for a long time.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to that ride. One of my brothers that rides alot with me is extremely afraid of heights! Any issues for him on this road?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bamarider
I am looking forward to that ride. One of my brothers that rides alot with me is extremely afraid of heights! Any issues for him on this road?
There are'nt any areas where the road skirts high cliffs. There are some hills on the edge of some spots. I don't recall any really scary parts at all. Just watch some of the corners that you have to do in first gear..there's a bunch of those.
You get done with one section for 5 miles and then you'll hit a nice straight away, get the bike into 5 th gear and then you'll see another sign that say curves for another 10 miles. It's quite a workout for your clutch.
Most of the time you'll be in first, second or third gear.
The road is not close to any major cities, as a matter of fact you'll see nothing but the road and surrounding landscape once you're riding it. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere so make sure the bike is in tiptop shape and give yourself plenty of time to do it. Top off with gas and you'll be fine because you can't really get the bike up to speed to burn a lot of fuel. I have a Dyna and so does my wife and we did fine.
Enjoy.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Rode the back roads from Winslow Az down to Payson and then back up on Lake Mary Road to Flagstaff. Sun was out but there were 30 mph winds the whole way with gusts up to 50 mph. Kept a good grip and was fine. Tried to get to Sedona but 4-5 miles before the town traffic stopped dead. Turned around and will try it in the morning for some breakfast before heading up to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

Bike is making a little noise and it sounds like the primary chain is hitting the shoe. There is no inspection cover on my 08 Road Glide for me to take a look so with some prayer, Flagstaff Harley will be open on the holiday. If not....don't know if I will continue on. or spend an extra day and have it looked at on Tuesday. Only makes noise in first three gears.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM
sfarson
Road Master

It is a great ride. Tighter and more grittier on the south end. And there is that head scratching arrow tree on the north end...

Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Oh yeah, the arrow tree...right after the wolf recovery site when riding south. I remember that. It's sort of odd to see that out there.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Flagstaff Harley was open on memorial day and they tore down my bike. It was a bearing that went out.. It will be ready tomorrow. Rented a bike and went to the grand canyon. Nice ride to and from.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Jbizzle
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo, glad to hear you are having a good time. We are just about home from our trip to the grand canyon and the only trouble we ran into was the 40 mph winds!! Felt like we were riding sideways for a bit coming into Albuquerque. We didn't get to do the Coronado trail, so I'm little envious, but will do it next time. If you are still near Flagstaff, we ate at a great place called beaver street brewery in the historical section. Best of luck with the rest of ur ride and hope ur scoot gets fixed soon

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 AM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

I rode this hwy last year on the 3 Flags Classic. Amazing road but you have to be careful & keep your concentration up. I was on my BMW, loaded up and was travelling with another rider who had an Ultra Classic. Not sure if my Softail will ever see this hwy.

No real issues but if somebody has fears of heights I'd think of another route as there is not a lot of guard rails on this hwy & a lot of blind curves. I'd rate this hwy for an experienced rider. It might be somewhat easier to ride it from south to north rather than north to south as you'll be in the inside lane.

Quick Reply: Arizona Ride - Coronado trail