Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BRP trip completed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRP trip completed

Just got back this afternoon. 10 days on the road, Skyline drive BRP and the smokies. Great ride and only hit rain two days for about an hour each day. Just under 2000 miles round trip and only 1 1/2 days of interstate driving. Wheels thru time museum, they are scheduled to close for good in october and move operations from Maggie Valley to Colorado Springs. Going to download pics in road trip sections.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! Anytime you can do 10 days in the mountains with only a couple of hours of rain is a special trip indeed!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Always great when the weather cooperates. As part of our trip last week, we rode a few hundred miles of the BRP. Spectacular rode and look forward to riding it again. How was the Skyline Drive portion? Did you have a favorite section?

Regarding Wheels Through Time, we spent a couple of hours there. What a great place. Dale spent much of the time showing us around. Great guy and he really makes the place come alive. BTW, the blue caddy belonged to Neil Young.

Originally Posted by bruce sg08
Just got back this afternoon. 10 days on the road, Skyline drive BRP and the smokies. Great ride and only hit rain two days for about an hour each day. Just under 2000 miles round trip and only 1 1/2 days of interstate driving. Wheels thru time museum, they are scheduled to close for good in october and move operations from Maggie Valley to Colorado Springs. Going to download pics in road trip sections.

Attached Thumbnails BRP trip completed-img_1082.jpg   BRP trip completed-img_1084.jpg   BRP trip completed-img_1089.jpg   BRP trip completed-img_1105.jpg   BRP trip completed-img_1109.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
road king ed
6th Gear

I'm going to do skyline drive in sept ., any pointers would be helpful!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by road king ed
I'm going to do skyline drive in sept ., any pointers would be helpful!
Best pointer...don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly. Keep an eye on the road, easy to get distracted in that area with the scenery.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep an eye on the road, easy to get distracted in that area with the scenery.
Good advice. I think I've seen more wildlife on the road or on the side of the road on Skyline ( deer, turkey, ground hog, bear ) than any other area I've ridden in. And I've done Skyline and the BRP end to end twice.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any difference between the Skyline Drive section and the rest of the BRP?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason, Skyline Drive has a whole different feel to it than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Both are terrific roads. I suppose it's because Skyline Drive runs along the high ridge for most of its length whereas the BRP runs the ridges and goes to the valley as well. You can get a speeding ticket pretty easy on each (don't ask me how I know...), so best to pay attention to your speed. The BRP seems a bit more curvy, and the speed limit is higher than Skyline Drive, so it's easy to keep the speed down to tolerable levels. Skyline Drive has a lower speed limit with longer straight sections, so it's easy to twist that throttle a bit much and attract the attention of LEO.

Best advice though? Stop and smell the roses! My biggest temptation is to cover more miles and miss all the wonder of the waterfalls, scenic views, and cool shade. Make it a point to stop often, take pictures, and relax. That's the key to a great trip, and I plan to do that exact thing one of these days!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Deep6
Cruiser

Just got home from doing Skyline Drive and the Virginia portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway over the Memorial Day weekend (Fri-Mon). I liked Skyline Drive better, seems to stay along the ridgeline more and to me there are more straight sections along the VA portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Later this summer I'm doing the full length down to Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway and am looking forward to it. Total drive over 4 days was a little over 1000 miles with the length home on each end. Was a goodtrip with only about an hour of rain on the south end of the Skyline drive Friday evening. Saw 2 bears on Skyline drive, one during the rain when coming around a corner found him sharing my lane. Not sure who was startled most , but we both kept on about our business, him tearing up a log alongside the road and me looking for a dry spot. The rest of the weekend weather was great, until at the end the OL and I were hoping for some rain to quench the 95+ heat on our last leg home. The scenery was great on both roads with little traffic volume for a holiday weekend until around Roanoke where it seemed like all the locals came out to have an old car rally at the one place where there is a restaurant right on the Parkway.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
For some reason, Skyline Drive has a whole different feel to it than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Both are terrific roads. I suppose it's because Skyline Drive runs along the high ridge for most of its length whereas the BRP runs the ridges and goes to the valley as well. You can get a speeding ticket pretty easy on each (don't ask me how I know...), so best to pay attention to your speed. The BRP seems a bit more curvy, and the speed limit is higher than Skyline Drive, so it's easy to keep the speed down to tolerable levels. Skyline Drive has a lower speed limit with longer straight sections, so it's easy to twist that throttle a bit much and attract the attention of LEO.

Best advice though? Stop and smell the roses! My biggest temptation is to cover more miles and miss all the wonder of the waterfalls, scenic views, and cool shade. Make it a point to stop often, take pictures, and relax. That's the key to a great trip, and I plan to do that exact thing one of these days!

Outstanding picture!!!!!

Quick Reply: BRP trip completed