Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Trip Advice for a Western States Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011 | 11:20 AM
SunPilot
|
Tourer
Default Need Trip Advice for a Western States Ride

I am planning to take a trip later this summer. I just moved to Arizona, so that's where I will head out from. I should have one riding buddy (anyone else interested, let me know). My plan is to head north from Phoenix up through Vegas and Reno...north through the Great Basin on the east side of the Cascade Range through Oregon and Washington. We might go into Canada to see Victoria. Then the trip will head south along the Pacific Coast, through the Redwood forest, and along the ocean to San Diego...then back to Phoenix.
Any suggestions as to routes, must see places or must ride roads, would be greatly appreciated. I am retired, so time is not a big concern...Trips like this don't happen often in life, so I want to make it special.
Thanks for any input

Old 05-27-2011 | 11:45 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I am planning to take a trip later this summer. I just moved to Arizona, so that's where I will head out from. I should have one riding buddy (anyone else interested, let me know). My plan is to head north from Phoenix up through Vegas and Reno...north through the Great Basin on the east side of the Cascade Range through Oregon and Washington. We might go into Canada to see Victoria. Then the trip will head south along the Pacific Coast, through the Redwood forest, and along the ocean to San Diego...then back to Phoenix.
Any suggestions as to routes, must see places or must ride roads, would be greatly appreciated. I am retired, so time is not a big concern...Trips like this don't happen often in life, so I want to make it special.
Thanks for any input
If Victoria is as far north as you want to go, then for your WA leg, I'd suggest hooking up with WA 20 (the North Cascades Highway) to cross the Cascades, riding through the national park (it's an undeveloped park; not like Yellowstone or anything--but great scenery!) and along the Skagit River (highest density of bald eagles in the 48) to Anacortes. From there you can get a ferry through the San Juan Islands to Victoria (to Sidney, BC, actually, but it's 5 minutes from Victoria). Why not ride one of the islands, too? Depending on when you go, you can ride to the west side of San Juan Island from Friday Harbor and see some orcas (there's a pod that often hangs out right there--bring some binos and watch where the whale-watching boats go). Then from Anacortes continue on 20 towards Deception Pass and onto Whidbey Island, ride south. From there, get a quick ferry to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. Follow US 101 around the Peninsula, stop and see Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rain forest, the beach at Kalaloch, maybe even take the there-and-back side trip out to Neah Bay. That road is a great ride. 101 will get you down to Oregon, at Astoria, and then along the coast to Cannon Beach and Tillamook.

Last edited by faber; 05-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 08:01 PM
SunPilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by faber
If Victoria is as far north as you want to go, then for your WA leg, I'd suggest hooking up with WA 20 (the North Cascades Highway) to cross the Cascades, riding through the national park (it's an undeveloped park; not like Yellowstone or anything--but great scenery!) and along the Skagit River (highest density of bald eagles in the 48) to Anacortes. From there you can get a ferry through the San Juan Islands to Victoria (to Sidney, BC, actually, but it's 5 minutes from Victoria). Why not ride one of the islands, too? Depending on when you go, you can ride to the west side of San Juan Island from Friday Harbor and see some orcas (there's a pod that often hangs out right there--bring some binos and watch where the whale-watching boats go). Then from Anacortes continue on 20 towards Deception Pass and onto Whidbey Island, ride south. From there, get a quick ferry to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. Follow US 101 around the Peninsula, stop and see Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rain forest, the beach at Kalaloch, maybe even take the there-and-back side trip out to Neah Bay. That road is a great ride. 101 will get you down to Oregon, at Astoria, and then along the coast to Cannon Beach and Tillamook.
Sounds great...I'll map that out and consider it...thanks for the input

Old 05-28-2011 | 12:20 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Do the tour at the Tillamook factory. I fell in love with their cheeses and ice creams after going through the plant.

Coming out of Medford, OR down to Crescent City, CA the Oregon Caves are a nice stop and adventure.

Hiway 1 below Monterey is still closed from a slide but you can do it from the Oregon border down to Monterey and then get over to the 101 down to Atascadero or San Luis Obispo. Head back north on the 1 and do a tour of the Hearst Castle. You won't regret it.

Old 05-28-2011 | 12:37 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Return leg-

San Juan Islands- Seattle- Mt. St. Helens-Oregon Coast-Pacific Coast Highway in California

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 05-28-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2011 | 02:25 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

Coming down Hwy 101 just South of Fortuna CA make sure you ride the "Avenue of the Giants". Just an awesome ride through the redwoods.

And ditto what faber said

Old 05-28-2011 | 11:24 AM
SunPilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Do the tour at the Tillamook factory. I fell in love with their cheeses and ice creams after going through the plant.

Coming out of Medford, OR down to Crescent City, CA the Oregon Caves are a nice stop and adventure.

Hiway 1 below Monterey is still closed from a slide but you can do it from the Oregon border down to Monterey and then get over to the 101 down to Atascadero or San Luis Obispo. Head back north on the 1 and do a tour of the Hearst Castle. You won't regret it.
Is the highway (1) closed from Monterey all the way to where it intersects with 41? I'm not going until later this summer...any idea when the road will reopen? Thanks for the info

Old 05-28-2011 | 11:27 AM
SunPilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pointman10
Return leg-

San Juan Islands- Seattle- Mt. St. Helens-Oregon Coast-Pacific Coast Highway in California

I want to see Crater Lake...I suppose I can hit that on the way north on the east side of the mountains. Also thinking about a side trip to see Mt Shasta too...I hear there are UFO sightings there all the time! LOL

Old 05-28-2011 | 11:28 AM
SunPilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
Coming down Hwy 101 just South of Fortuna CA make sure you ride the "Avenue of the Giants". Just an awesome ride through the redwoods.

And ditto what faber said
That is already on my list...a must see for me! Thanks for confirming

Old 05-28-2011 | 11:21 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

1 is closed below Big Sur. They say it may take the rest of the year to get it open again.

Quick Reply: Need Trip Advice for a Western States Ride