Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What is the best part of the highway 1 Coastal highway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Head 80 to San Rafael then straight to PCH then you can stay on 101 Toward Fortuna take 36 to Red Bluff to Susanville and 395 home did that area last year had a blast it's about 820 miles easy for 3 day W/E. Check the weather report 36 is very twisty and foresty and very pretty make sure stop at Mad River hamburger stand.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

LRS: What weekend do you have free? I have a 5 day weekend coming up, beginning 6/8. Planning on a number of rides, but one of them will be to head down 1 from Carmel Valley, and just past San Simeon take 46 East to Paso ( as another member mentioned). It's breathtaking scenery, and one of my favorite rides. If your weekend is the same, shoot me a PM and we'll plan on meeting along the way, and or riding some of it together. I'll have my wife with me, but you'll find that she's easy on the eyes, so she's okay to have around!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You say you want a solo weekend ride. OK, here goes.

Get started early. Day 1.

395 to Minden and take 88 S to 89 S to 4 East. To Oakland, you go right by Arlen Ness if interested, over the bridge to hiway 1 S. Get on your horse and go through Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Moneterey, Carmel, Big Sur all the way to Morro Bay. Get a room and get some shut eye.

Day 2. Yaay. You're heading home.

41 E to Yosemite. 120 E to 395 N to Reno. Wish I could tag along. That's a ride.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM
NSYA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep

395 to Minden and take 88 S to 89 S to 4 East. To Oakland, you go right by Arlen Ness if interested, over the bridge to hiway 1 S. Get on your horse and go through Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Moneterey, Carmel, Big Sur all the way to Morro Bay. Get a room and get some shut eye.

41 E to Yosemite. 120 E to 395 N to Reno. Wish I could tag along. That's a ride.
Excellent route. I have been waiting to take this ride myself, but Hwy 1 is still closed near Bug Sur:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

This highway information is the latest reported as of Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 19:49

SR 1
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED 3.2 MI SOUTH OF GORDA (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A LAND SLIDE
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 13.7 MI NORTH OF BIG SUR STATE PARK
/AT ROCKY CREEK/ (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A SLIP-OUT

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything north of Malibu and The split at Legget....take 1 not 101 to San Fran....one of the most challenging roads I've been on....

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
LRS: What weekend do you have free? I have a 5 day weekend coming up, beginning 6/8. Planning on a number of rides, but one of them will be to head down 1 from Carmel Valley, and just past San Simeon take 46 East to Paso ( as another member mentioned). It's breathtaking scenery, and one of my favorite rides. If your weekend is the same, shoot me a PM and we'll plan on meeting along the way, and or riding some of it together. I'll have my wife with me, but you'll find that she's easy on the eyes, so she's okay to have around!

I was actually thinking of this next memorial day weekend or the week after, I will be in Jamaica for my annual escape with the wife trip the weekend of your trip, although that would be cool.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep

That does sound attractive.

Any one ever been through sanora pass by the marine winter warfare training center.

I drove it once in a cage and have vowed to get back there on a bike.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Change of plans and route. Since the 1 is closed below Big Sur then the first days ride should end at the Monterey area.

New day 2 Route.

Head into Pacific Grove and ride the coast. It is some of the most beautiful ocean scenery and COLORS that you'll ever experience. Even if the sun isn't shining brightly the colors are still pretty amazing. You can't do the pay for it ride that takes you past scenery that isn't very different than the PG ocean scenery so don't worry about it. Get breakfast in downtown Pacific Grove at one of the little restaurants on the main drag.

Head over to Salinas and take the 101 over to the 156 and head into Hollister. Go north to the 152. You can take a tour of the Corbin Seat factory while you're in Hollister if you want. The 152 will go over Pacheco Pass and down into the Valley. Now get on the 5 and make some time to Stockton. Just north of Stockton get the 88 and head up into the hills. The 88 will connect to the 89 and here you are going to go the wrong way. Take 89 South to the 395. It will be one of the memorable parts of the trip, I promise. 395 home.