Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2011 Myrtle Beach Rally was a let down!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
moulin6801
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Myrtle Beach Rally was a let down!!

Hey guys, just come back from the Myrtle Beach Rally and I was very disappointed that the city has a new Ordinance that does not allows any vendors out on weekends! I was there Friday, Sat, Sunday, left Monday morning. Thought it would be like Sturgis, sort of , or in fact, like most other rallies, where you see vendors in every corner, but NOTHING! You had to go to the Harley Dealers to find some "action".
Now, I really enjoyed the weather, the beach, and driving down the main street, looking at the Ocean, no Helmet, that was AWESOME, but that you can do anytime !
In fact, I was surprised how few bikes were there on the weekend...
I took some money to buy a few things, hoping to find a new windshield, some leather, etc. But I guess I will spend my money some place else, next Rally.
By the way, those Cops were filling the quota this weekend. They were all out, and writing tickets Left and right! VERY strict Speed Limit there!!

Another thing that I did not like is that the events, are very spread out thorough the city, basically, in the 3 cornes of town were the HD dealers were. I have heard that used to be more central, but they change that also with new Ordenance.
Night life was not too bad... a few places to go, but not what I expected neither!
Cheers
David

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Heard they only give vendors a 7 day pass. They will be set up this weekend. We went a few years ago, but like Daytona better.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think it was too bad. Not what it used to be a few years ago though. The main thing is no big time vendors like there used to be at Broadway at the beach. Didn't have any issue with police even in the city limits. Spent most of the week in North Myrtle and Murrell's Inlet area. Still a good time.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

Guys it is obvious that Myrtle Beach does not want bikers or their money their. They have proven this time and time again. I will never be back, the sad thing is this used to be one of the best rally's going.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went this past week and had a blast. There were a lot of vendors at Barefoot Landing, Myrtle Beach Mall and the Harley dealers. No it is not like it used to be. I had heard that there were 87 vendors this year (it seemed like more), but there were over 400 4 years ago. The south end was crowded Saturday with probably close 100,000 bikers. The north end has more vendors, but less biker party areas. The North was not near as crowded. Still there was plenty of vendors, interesting bikes to view (in the parking lots not on display), plenty of bars, beer, music, and sun. What is not to like. I saw pleaty of LEO stragicly parked to keep control, but I did not see them writing tickets for normal biking behavior, ie. getting on it a little strong!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM
hawker
Advanced

We also went last week and had a blast! From what I have been told it was alot better this year than the past two.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM
shaker
Tourer
Thumbs up

I also went this past weekend and Murrells Inlet was bumper to bumper bikes. Had a freakin blast. Rode up to Cherry Point to some of the bars and they were packed. May not be like it use to but I enjoy being able to go from joint to joint without having to let the clutch out then break every few seconds. Police never gave us a second look and never saw anyone getting a ticket. Stayed in downtown Myrtle and it was great. Saturday night was absolutely rock'in wherever we ended up. Will go back - no doubt. Lots of vendors too!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to the Myrtle Beach area and dont have fun there is something wrong with you, not the area. I was there from Friday the 13th to Sunday the 22nd and had fun as I always do. Been going to both Spring and Fall rallies since '05. It's what you make of it. The vendors werent set up the first weekend because of permit restrictions. Do you need vendors to have a good time? They were set up from monday the the 16th to Sunday the 22nd. There werent as many as in the past again because of permit restrictions. If you need vendors to have a good time maybe you go for the wrong reason. All the time I was there, I didnt see the cops stop a single bike - maybe I just missed it - but they were stopping cars. I travelled from North Myrtle Beach to Murrells Inlet many times during my stay on all the roads and had no issues. I go to have fun, make it a point to have fun and not **** and moan about some half assed ordinances that dont affect me anyway. There are laws everywhere you go. Deal with it or not. The rally was far from a let down. I would prefer to see it like it used to be, but that isnt likely to happen. I will either adjust or stop going...and if I ever stop going it will be done silently.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
packnru
6th Gear

It was awesome. You obviously did not spend any time at the Bunny Ranch or Fantails.

Did you get down to SBB to see the AC/DC tribute band, Highway to Hell?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Well now, all this talk of the rally and no photos of the bitches??? Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: 2011 Myrtle Beach Rally was a let down!!