Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where to stay in/near Washington DC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where to stay in/near Washington DC?

5 of us are riding to Washington DC next week (From Ontario Canada). We plan to arrive on Friday the 20th of May. We also need some ideas for places to eat.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM
sjp3003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where to stay: If you're going to be checking out the city I'd recommend getting a hotel in or around Georgetown, Dupont Circle or Downtown. Downtown is kind of desolate at night, so I'd stay in one of the first two areas where there is always something going on.

Another alternative just outside the city: Old Town Alexandria VA.

In terms of food there are plenty of choices in all price ranges depending on what you're looking for:

Lower Priced spots: Ben's Chili Bowl is a landmark here, visited by Presidents, celebrities and locals. Rocklands BBQ in Georgetown is good. Best burgers are BGR and Ray's Hell Burger in VA. For pizza Pete's on Wisconsin Ave is very good, and Vappiano's downtown and in Bethesda is good too. Chinatown is small but offers various reasonable options.
Lastly the Adams Morgan area offers many food and bar options, is busy at night and always has a small flock of bikes parked at one of the central spots.

If you like live jazz consider going to Blues Alley in Georgetown (where you can also have dinner)...reservations are recommended.

There are three areas to walk around and window shop many restaurant options: Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown and Adams Morgan.

If you're packing clothes and an appetite to go to dressier/pricier spots send me a PM and I can recommend many other places.

Have a great trip.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
CC Rainman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to stay in the Arlington area. on the other side of the river. The hotels have bigger parking lots. There is a great biker bar called The Exchange.located 1719 G. Street N.W., Great food and nice place to hang out.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to be there as well. It's kind of late, but we got a rate near the end of April at the Omni in downtown DC for about 50% off...somewhere around 130 a night.

Last edited by SlowRain; 05-13-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I like to eat at "Clyde's" in Chevy Chase....
Maggiano's is a good place for Italian food (there are 2 on the dreaded Va. side of the river and at least 2 on the good Md side of the river)...Depending on what you are hungry for there is lots of places in the DC area to get it...I prefer to eat at the little places in town most of the time..they can be hard to find but the food is more "home grown"...2 thumbs up on the Adams Morgan part of town for good food, and Bens Chili Bowl...just park and walk around and follow your nose...Damn, now I'm hungry...a bowl of Chili and couple hot dogs sounds like just the ticket...Oh yea, don't forget to feed the parking meters, and don't speed (there are speed cameras all over the place in the DC areas...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alexandria, Virginia. Safe, reasonably priced, and you can get anywhere on the train.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

That's a wide open question. I would suggest the Double Tree right across the highway from the Pentagon. The area is called Pentagon City. It's right across the river from downtown DC where all the monuments are and has all the food places you could ever want in close proximity.

I was driving around DC all morning. Why anyone would want to go there to visit is beyond me. LOL!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to go to Ben's Chili Bowl...half smoke and a bowl.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend parking the bikes and take the subway everywhere in Washington DC. Traffic and parking can be a pain and expensive.

When you pick a hotel, keep in mind how how the subway station is. Last time we stayed at the Homewood Suites close to Georgetown. Subway was about 5-6 blocks away.

All or most of the attractions are free, but the food can expensive around the capital.

Again, subway is key.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay at the White House we all own it !

Quick Reply: Where to stay in/near Washington DC?