Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Visiting San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Master Gunny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting San Antonio

Leaving Phoenix for the summer and headed up to Washington State the long way. First stop will be San Antonio. I have never been there. Will be staying at Randolph AFB off of I-10 and plan two days in the area. Heard a lot about the River Walk. I bet traffic is a mess. Also the Alamo is a must for me. Any advice? Stay away from? Avoid? Go to. Any input is appreciated. Remember, never been there. Thanks...

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Daughter lives there, and I visit twice a year. Yes the river walk and the Alamo are a must see. If Your going to be on Your bike, park it in one of the parking garage's, for security. Plenty of great places to eat. 3 Hd dealer's if You need something. If your going in on I-10, The first one is Javelina HD on your left in Boerne, Tx. Great service, took care of some warranty issues for Me. I could go on and on, I'm sure others will chime in with more info. Have a good trip.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to San Antonio. are you riding? driving with family?
* great parking garage - Commerce and South Presa (3 blocks off I-37) always space
* Alamo a definite MUST see
* River Walk too
* great restaruants on River Walk, Landry's (seafood) Casa Rio (Mexican) Paesanos (Italian)
*La Villita - 1 block south of River Walk
* if you ride - head out north to Luckenbach and Fredericksburg, lots of cool Farm to Market and Ranch to Market 2 lane roads.
* http://www.visitsanantonio.com/index.aspx
* stay out of the West and South sides.
driving time from Randolph to downtown - 20 minutes.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to agree with the previous post, my mother lives there so I try to go at least once per year. San Antonio is a great town for military, almost everyplace has some kind of discount even the Harley dealer.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Master Gunny
Advanced

Thanks for the input. The red head and I will be on the road most of the summer. We pull the bike behind us and do day rides once in the areas we are visiting. We won't head back to Phoenix until Oct. Between now and then it's go and do as we please. Headed for New Orleans after San Antonio and then up to Memphis and Nashville. Who knows from there??? Life is good... Semper Fi

Last edited by Master Gunny; 05-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser

Hill Country is AWESOME and when you pass through Kerrville, TX stop and eat @The Lakehouse on the Junction HWY. The catfish is outstanding, onion rings are off the hook.

If you go south east jog a little north over towards College Station through LaGrainge and Fayettville. Nice riding roads through the east TX pines. Fayettville has a nice old time town square with a good resturant (cant remember the name but theres a bed and breakfast over the top of it)

Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Just spent 6 weeks there in Jan-Feb, so my input is just from a visitors viewpoint.

Traffic was horrible, compounded (IMO) by the way the freeway entrances and exits are constructed. Keep your head on a swivel and expect to be cut off if in heavy traffic.

As said above, the Alamo is a must see, there are also quite a few very nice parks to visit within the city. The riverwalk is nice and has some great restaurants and small clubs. I also went to Luckenbach, about 1 & 1/2 hours out, pretty nice trip out and had a great time watching a small concert there. Had one of the best meals in a long time at Bravo's in the mall on the north side of town. If you have a GPS, make sure it's updated, mine couldn't find ****.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
rdb1976
Road Master

Originally Posted by aviator
* stay out of the West and South sides.
driving time from Randolph to downtown - 20 minutes.
what's wrong with the west side? My wife grew up in Helotes and there's some BEAUTIFUL riding out there around the Three Sisters.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
lonn711
Advanced
Default riding in San Antonio

Ditto Sgt. Mac's words on the traffic here. I have been riding scoots for over 40 years across this great nation. San Antonio is the most dangerous city to ride in! The freeways are designed so weird I don't think a engineering degree was a requirement for the job.

Just be extra paranoid while riding in the traffic weirdness.

Subtract the dangerous traffic and it's a great city to live in.

The Texas Hill Country is some of the best riding. Don't ride outside the city at night. Too many deer, wild hogs, and coyotes.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
TxMongrel
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rdb1976
what's wrong with the west side? My wife grew up in Helotes and there's some BEAUTIFUL riding out there around the Three Sisters.

West side and South side is where you'll find the best authentic San Antonio mexican food. Not like the riverwalk canned food. Any of the three HD dealers have hill country maps for great riding or you can Google them too. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Visiting San Antonio