Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

GPS track for BRP & Skyline Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GPS track for BRP & Skyline Drive

Does anybody have a saved GPS track of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive? I've tried to create a track on the HD Road Planner site, and it's been a major headache so far. Click, drag, click, drag, repeat through the entire path since it's not tracking the two roads by itself, especially when near the cities/towns in the path. The fun part is when I move the path in the next segment, it sometimes goes back to a prior segment that I have perfect and changes it as well.

I've got a Garmin 765T that allows for the import and saving of custom tracks. I'd prefer starting at the south end and going north, but I'd take the opposite way and just flip it around if anybody has it as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be riding it blind (no GPS) this July from north to south... but I'll wave anyway. LOL

Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

It's pretty much the same road, just different names on different segments.
Skyline from Front Royal, VA to Waynesboro, then the BRP all the way to just north of Cherokee, NC.
I did it last year...and the Natchez trace.
It's marked well.

No GPS needed..................

Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why worry about GPS. The best rides are the ones where you get "lost"

Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by silvrbill
It's marked well.

No GPS needed..................
Thanks for the info. Never been there, and looking at the HD Ride Planner, looks like it would be easy to take a wrong road. Not that this bothers me, just want to make sure I can find my way back I'll keep an eye out for the signage then.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont get on a wrong road....the BRP is one of the easist roads to follow.....no maps or GPS needed

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

When I went last year I plotted the trip in MapQuest and downloaded the routes to my garmin. Only problem was even dragging the road I wnated to take onto the Skyline Drive the GPS always thought I should be 100-200 yards to the west of the drive. I also found out the GPS and MapQuest will lie to you about how long the trip will take even when you have mapped the exact roads you plan to travel. On day two of my trip the GPS said it would be 8 hours, same as mapQuest. After riding for 10 hours we were still two hours from the motel in Maggie Valley here we had reservations. The GPS also lied about where some restaurants were. What it said was a restaurant was a vacant field.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CarrollB
What it said was a restaurant was a vacant field.
Well, I'm planning in depth, but riding by feel...if that makes any sense. I've got a big list of restaurants, campgrounds, gas stations, exits, HD dealers and things I wouldn't mind seeing...all in a file on the iPhone. As I get to certain areas, I'll figure out where I'm at, and what's around me. I'll then either call ahead, or program into the GPS to find the place.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Last year, just for kicks.... my friend Larry, set his H-D GPS for "home" while on the BRP. the GPS kept telling him he needed to take the next turn.....only problem with that was... the road, his GPS wanted him to turn onto... was 50 feet, down hill, with no intersection on the BRP.

Once on the Skyline Drive, the BRP connects to the end, near Waynesboro VA. From Waynesboro, until Cherokee NC, the only time you turn off the BRP, is for fuel, or lodging. When you go off the BRP. the roads BACK to the parkway are well marked.

No GPS needed

Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mastery
Does anybody have a saved GPS track of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive? I've tried to create a track on the HD Road Planner site, and it's been a major headache so far. Click, drag, click, drag, repeat through the entire path since it's not tracking the two roads by itself, especially when near the cities/towns in the path. The fun part is when I move the path in the next segment, it sometimes goes back to a prior segment that I have perfect and changes it as well.

I've got a Garmin 765T that allows for the import and saving of custom tracks. I'd prefer starting at the south end and going north, but I'd take the opposite way and just flip it around if anybody has it as well.

Thanks!
No worries on GPS - Skyline Drive and the BRP are very well marked, and they have few if any at-grade intersections. There's no real chance of accidentally leaving the Drive or the Parkway.

Matt

Quick Reply: GPS track for BRP & Skyline Drive