Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips for an Iron Butt Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
brntwltrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell ya guys, I greatly appreciate the information. I got the scooter's 15K maintenance and a new front tire done over the weekend. I think it's time to roll now! Really looking forward to this ride.

Brent

Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Good luck, be carefull. Im going to do one later this year somewhere along WB 40 between here and California.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning to ride from Milwaukee to Oklahoma City or maybe further west to reach 1K. I was thinking 16 hours riding time at 65 MPH using all interstate. That leaves 8 hours for breaks and maybe 5 or 6 hours of sleep. After reading above I'm not so sure. Seems like everyone rides straight through?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
foxtrot
Cruiser

I dont think I could ride 16 hors straight. Longest ride so far was 400 in one day, but that was easy and without a windsheild. Im gonna make a test run next month, see how 6 or 700 miles feel.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking I might ride 10 hours with several gas / streatch breaks, sleep four 5 hours and then finish with a 6 hour run. From what I am reading above, it seems most people ride straight with a 20 minute break every 100 miles or so. I've done that before by cage but never on a bike. First things first - you need to avoid fatigue.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
brntwltrs
Advanced

Hey Foxtrot and Biackbenz,

If y'all would like, I would be more than happy to send you an excel spreadsheet that calculates what I am planning, it's pretty cool, yes, I am a spreadsheet dork, but comes with the job, lol. Just shoot me your email addresses.

Brent

Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BIACKBENZ
I am thinking I might ride 10 hours with several gas / streatch breaks, sleep four 5 hours and then finish with a 6 hour run. From what I am reading above, it seems most people ride straight with a 20 minute break every 100 miles or so. I've done that before by cage but never on a bike. First things first - you need to avoid fatigue.
Ya I drove almost 1100 miles across I-80 last Dec in about 17 hours in my car.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brntwltrs
Hey Foxtrot and Biackbenz,

If y'all would like, I would be more than happy to send you an excel spreadsheet that calculates what I am planning, it's pretty cool, yes, I am a spreadsheet dork, but comes with the job, lol. Just shoot me your email addresses.

Brent
I dont have excel so I dont think I could open it. Thaks for the offer.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished my first Iron Butt SS1K. It was from Connecticut to Gatlinburg TN.

I would agree with most all of the advise you received and add a few more.

1. Plenty of snacks and a few PB&J sandwiches will greatly reduce your stop times. Gas Stretch and move on. We were able to hold most of our stops to 15 min.
2. Plenty of drinks. Juice, Water, I am a fan of those drop in with spenda and mounted a bike water bottle holder on my right bar. I drank at least 5 24oz bottles on our route.
3. Take Motrin or Ibuprophin the night before the ride and again when you wake and leave. I took 3 doses total and really helped.
4. If your staying on tract and you hit significant storms pull off and wait them out even for 30 min. While you lose alittle time your body will thank you and your mucles will remain lose.
5. we did mostly 140 mile shots most of the way. Even the couple "Shorter distance stops" due to severe rain we fuled up.
6. I purchased a Rider Beaded seat cover and honestly it was worth its weight time over. I never developed "Monkey Butt" and never had an issue with my tailbone hurting at all.
7 Keep and eye on construction. While most smaller ones we hit never really hurt us. A late night one caused us a 90 minute increase in our ride.

We did the entire route 1029 miles in 21 hours 8 min.

Good luck and enjoy the ride also. 24 hours is a long time and you will still have time to watch the beutiful landscapes without trying to hit 80+ MPH. For most of our trip we stayed within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit at all times.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
brntwltrs
Advanced

Hi All,

We made the ride in 21 hours flat and had a blast doing it! Once again, I appreciate all the pointers leading up to this past weekend.

Thanks,
Brent

Quick Reply: Tips for an Iron Butt Ride