Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips for an Iron Butt Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
Does anyone know if the Iron Butt Association is alive and well? My buddy and I were planning on doing a ride but he couldn't get a response from the association to an inquiry so he is now thinking that if he can't get a certificate and patch, he isn't going.
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Mike Kneebone is a really busy guy....someone will get back to you.

Last edited by Rustell; 04-30-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Get some earplugs and wear them. All those hours on the bike with the air buffing, your ears will let you know at the end of the ride if you dont wear them. Have done three of these and know theyll certainly help your ears from ringing.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
Does anyone know if the Iron Butt Association is alive and well? My buddy and I were planning on doing a ride but he couldn't get a response from the association to an inquiry so he is now thinking that if he can't get a certificate and patch, he isn't going.
Yep they are alive and well. I got my Saddlesore 2000 certification back from them a bout a month and a half ago.

For anyone doing an IBA ride be prepared to have a pretty good wait after sending in your paperwork to hear word back on your certification. Like rustell said, they are busy so it takes a while. Sometimes you do get lucky though.
I did my Saddlesore 2000 ride last May but didn't actually send in the paperwork till this January, got my certification back in March. That was pretty damn quick.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 05-01-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 PM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave earlier than 5 am. We normally leave at 3. Normally too excited to sleep much before ride anyway, and the most energy you have will be when first going, minimizing the effects of darkness. My first ss began at 6 pm. Terrible idea and I'll never do another starting at night, but tears a personal preference.

Also, while folks are right that the ss1k is pretty easy when all said and done, I would still plan to go more than 100 miles between stops. We go 175-200. Even if you only increase to 125, you're cutting out 2 stops and saving valuable time.

Enjoy!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read through the tips on the IBA website if you haven't already. They're spot on. From personal experience, going faster doesn't get it done faster. By the end of the day it will wear you out. Use a stop watch and time your stops, it will keep you aware of time spent. It's very easy to get talking with someone and the next thing you know 30-45 min. have gone by. Get a camelback or waterbottle holder so you can drink water while you ride, makes a big difference.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Chris R
2nd Gear

I just finished my first Saddle Sore on Thursday. I take it you're doing the organized ride on May 21st? I think some people have already hit on stuff but in case.

1. Have a system for handling your paperwork. I saw someone say that they kept it in a saddlebag or something. I used a small tank bag to hold cell phone, ipod, and ziplock baggy with receipts in it. Each Receipt, write the stop number on it, and the odometer reading. Throw it in the ziplock and try to fold it so that you can see the number of the last receipt. You don't want two receipt #4's.

2. empty your pockets as much as possible. Put the wallet in the saddle bag, get light, that annoying bump in the pants, lump in jacket pocket etc is gonna get super noticeable around 750 miles.

3. camelback is very very good idea, better to take small sips during the ride then to slam a water/gatorade etc. At one point I swear I was having to stop and pee every hour. At the end of the ride I was dehydrated

4. either wear heated gear (though I'm from Little Elm - so I know it will be plenty warm during the day) or dress in layers. After Riding in upper 80's+ during the day have something to put on for when it hits 60ish. were comfortable underwear, jeans, and leathers if you can. Avoid seams on yer butt.

5. Pace yourself in speed and emotion - the first 2 hours and last two hours you want to speed so bad. Get it down, steady is the way to go. It's just a ride, Kick back and enjoy! Do not get caught up in the odometer, time, rush, and what not. Look up watch the traffic and take in the scenery.

6. Think about your witnesses if possible up front, I called police department non-emergency number two days before I left and told em what I was doing. Officer was ready for me on my return and signed my papers. That is of course if your not doing the scheduled Colony ride that already has everything arranged.

7. Check tires - gauge and pressure, oil etc a day or two before. Carry something to clean your windshield if you have one, your bug collection is likely to hit epic proportions.

8. biggest thing in my opinion... you see a lot of people talk about avoiding caffeine. Here's the deal though the day of the ride is not the time to go without caffeine if you normally drink 2 monsters a day etc. I say don't deviate from your norms. Not the time to have caffeine withdrawals, you're already gonna get beat up enough. And consider having some aleve or aspirin with you, or handy soon after finish.

sorry for long post I tried to make it worthwhile.

I'm waiting for my ride to be accepted but yes it was certainly doable. Mine took 19 hours but I also stopped at the turn around point to play tourist and take pictures.

Last edited by Chris R; 05-01-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: to is not two /lol
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

take Imodium AD in case you get diahrea....
Take "personal wipes" in case you use the toilet...
drink plenty of water...

Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
brntwltrs
Advanced

Hi All,

Thanks guys for all of the great tips. I am getting pretty darn excited about the ride and will certainly post when it's all said and done to share my experience.

Thanks again,
Brent

Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although it wasn't a SS1000 attempt, I rode from White Georgia to Winnsboro Texas nonstop a couple of weeks ago. 786 miles in 14 hrs 5 minutes, straight shot out I-20.
Things to consider...
You indicated "old school" ie no gps. I believe that would be a mistake. Keep in mind that your attempting total miles traveled in 24 hours. Can't make great time exploring the backroads...much better time can be made on the interstates.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Look for seamless underwear!! I found that my trusty Hanes felt as though the seams were constructed of 1/2" rope!

Wore my "baggy" jeans...also a mistake. The extra fabric that flaps in the wind would make an excellent torture technique since they can't waterboard any longer.

Don't eat before you leave. Put some miles on before your first stop, then get yourself some breakfast with your first fillup.

Great advice made prior on here...but somethings been left out.

Make yourself an emergency contact sheet.
List your significant others contact number, doctors number, insurance info, blood type etc. Everything you can think of that EMTs would need if your unable to talk.
Put one in your wallet, and leave the other on the bike. Sure, you won't need it...it's just in case.

Also need to "tune up" to the ride. Don't think that you can do a couple of 100 mile days then be "in shape" for 1K. Go get yourself a hamberger in Oklahoma City.

It's all that I can think of for the moment.

Don't push yourself beyond your limit... know when to "bow out." Live to try another attempt!!

Enjoy yourself, Ride safe

Beav

Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Never had a GPS on the bike for any of these rides and didn't feel it would have been an advantage to have one.

Quick Reply: Tips for an Iron Butt Ride