Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011 | 01:55 PM
jad
|
Road Captain
Default The Road to Hana

Well my wife and I with three other couples went to Maui in March. We rented Harleys and did the road to Hana. It was awesome. Yes you can actually get to third gear however it’s lugging the bike and you go back to second and first at the next corner.
It was a great ride though. Hit a little rain just before reaching Hana. The road is very narrow and lots of one lane bridges.
We started at this town I called “Wanasmokeadubbie” and was offered pot before I had the kick stand down on the bike. No joke, I shut the bike off and was looking down for the stand when from behind me I hear “Marijuana”? I looked up to a bicycle rider passing by and said no thanks. He smiled and moved on.
Maybe thirty years ago I might have answered differently.
We did do the entire 360 around the back side. We were told if you go around the back that you’re on your own should you have bike problems. After doing it I now know why. It would have been better with a dirt bike. Oh well been there and done that.

I need to get Hawaii on my avatar.

Last edited by jad; 04-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2011 | 08:39 PM
orangedog350
Advanced

cool ride

Old 04-21-2011 | 08:39 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe I would like to live in that town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2011 | 08:07 PM
harleydude68
Road Master

My wife and I have been to Maui and I must say that you are braver than I to tackle the Road to Hana. The twisties are amazing!!! The one lane temporary bridges are a whole nuther thing. YIKES! Of course I'm not a big fan of heights. Good for you though! Beautiful road. Glad you had a good time. Regarding the "hana" in Hana... Would you ride back on that road after toking? hhahahahahaha!

Old 04-25-2011 | 10:06 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Love that ride. The rainbow trees were my favorite. Such a great and scenic ride. Before the curves start is a bar where Willie Nelson hangs out a lot. Would not surprise me if the guy on the bike was on a first name friendship with Willie!

Old 04-25-2011 | 10:38 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I drove that loop a few years back but in a car, was wishing the entire time I was on a bike. I agree about the "back side" of the loop, it can get pretty dicey. I was sweating it a time or two in the rental car.

Glad you had a nice trip.

Old 05-01-2011 | 02:35 AM
88b
Tourer

We also did it in a rental car with the wife telling to slow down almost every turn. Hawaii is 17 hours flying time for us ,I'd go back tomorrow,

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:03 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

I did that as well a few years ago. The wife and I were supposed to get a RK for our rental but they did not have it back when we went to pick it up so they gave us an ultra. Great ride but never thought to make sure the clock was right on the bike. Got about half way back and it started to get dark then rain then darker. The clock was off by 3 hours. Was a great ride and happy we never worried about the time. We got off and hiked trails and played in the falls. Do it again in a heart beat.

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:24 PM
Bdobb
Cruiser

Road to Hana? You're killin' me! My wife and I drove it last year when we stayed in Lahaina for 10 days, but didn't want to attempt a motorcycle after getting body-slammed on the beach by a surf break and cracking a rib after the third day there. Didn't need any Maui Wowie with all the codeine the doc gave me. Next trip it's a Harley on that road for sure. By the way, did you happen to stuff any of those free ditchside coconuts in your bag?

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:31 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Years ago my daughter & I flew from Honolulu to Kona, rented a springer and rode all around the big island. Highly recommended and worthwhile.

Quick Reply: The Road to Hana