Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glencoe 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
clenaghen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glencoe 2011?

Group of us are hitting Sturgis this year and we are debating where we want to stay. My vote is for Glencoe, but I havent been there since '02 & '03. I have heard there is a new owner, so curious to find out if anything has changed (for the worse), and whether the wild times still are going on there or things have calmed down.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Glencoe

I've camped at Glencoe in 05, 09, and last year in 10. I have my reservations for 11 and can't wait. In 05 it was packed with people and the entertainment was non stop. Then they decided to increase the cost to $300 and bring in big name concerts and compete with the Buffalo Chip. They is when the attendance dropped off.

You can order your wristband now for only $150 which is good for the whole rally. Early bird special won't last long. The last two summers people get there early to reserve their spots along the alley. There are some cool displays along the alley, almost like a carnival atmosphere. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights the alley is very good and lots of fun. Then on Monday when the concerts start at other places people tend to go to concerts and the alley isn't as busy as the weekend, but still good. People that get there early to reserve their spot only the alley seem to leave to go home on Wednesday or Thursday, so things quiet down after that time.

It's still a great campsite with lots of shade, hot showers, food, and this year they are advertising sand beach and tika bar. I would highly recommend staying there if you are looking for a good time.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
dualsport
Intermediate
Default Glencoe Bound!

I am also headed to Glencoe for the first time this year. Hell....I'm headed to Sturgis for the first time! I am riding my RK from Mobile Alabama across the US! I am so looking forward to this. I am taking three weeks off and already have my reservations for Glencoe Camping. I chose it because several Glencoe veterans on this site recommended it. I have seen a few bad reviews but I know two things. 1) You can't please everyone and 2) Most people only take time to write reviews when they're ticked off!
With that said..I'm all in! I am riding solo and hope to hook up with some veterans to show me the ropes!!! I think most of them are staying in Section 8! Ride safe all!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Glencoe

We will have to have a meet and greet for everyone staying at Glencoe.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
dualsport
Intermediate

Now that actually sounds like a great idea!!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
clenaghen
Intermediate

Good to hear. I know that the year after I was there in '03 they clamped down on the setup/displays along titty row, which were always entertaining. I am still pushing for my group to stay at Glencoe as opposed to the site some of them have stayed at in the past, which is about 18 miles outside of town (Cottonwood creek). I just like being a little closer to town and Full Throttle across the highway is a bonus.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
clenaghen
Intermediate

(double-post deleted)