Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Have you been stopped for loud pipes in SW

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM
37heritage
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been stopped for loud pipes in SW

Last year I rode through the NW corner of Arizona on the way to 4 corners and saw a sign about ticketing for loud pipes. Am going back this year and wanted to ride from New Mexico through Arizona on 40 and parts of 66. I'm still running an old thunderheader and would rather not be ticked so anyone know what the attitude is there. Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Albuquerque and there are a lot of guys here with straight pipes and I never hear
of anyone getting hassled so I'd guess that you'll be OK in NM. Dunno about AZ..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
bds540
Intermediate

unless the carry a decible meter and can show you the decible law tell them to stick it! plus your outta state so dont see how they can stick ya but i have no faith in the justice system jmop

Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bds540
your outta state so dont see how they can stick ya but i have no faith in the justice system jmop
Two things to say about this:

1. When you go into another municipality, you are bound to the laws of that area. If you don't want to comply with their laws, don't go.

2. Sorry you have no faith in the justice system. Feel free to book that flight to Sudan, Mexico, Syria, or one of the other countries where you'd really appreciate the justice system you have in this country.

To the OP, there's lots of places that you can get tickets for loud pipes in the country. If you are concerned, you can always swap out your pipes before riding in those areas. I have louder pipes with my Ovals, but not the loudest out there. I think a lot of it is common sense...just don't "get on it" around the public...you can control some of the intensity of those pipes.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
37heritage
Novice

thanks guys

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Tennessee. Last year on a trip back from Ohio I got stopped in SW Virginia fro loud pipes. I had V&H longshots with the baffel in. While it was not Goldwing quiet it was non factory. The State Police was a smarta@s. He was too far behind me to know how loud they were and I had it shut down long before he got out of the car. He shined a light on my exhaust and saw the V&H stamp. He wrote me up ($99). My choice was to pay or take a day off work and go fight in court and risk an extra $50 court cost. I paid and stay out of Scott County Virginia. There have been several letters to the editor in our local paper citing rigid enforcement and warning people to avoid Scott County.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Tennessee. Last year on a trip back from Ohio I got stopped in SW Virginia fro loud pipes. I had V&H longshots with the baffel in. While it was not Goldwing quiet it was non factory. The State Police was a smarta@s. He was too far behind me to know how loud they were and I had it shut down long before he got out of the car. He shined a light on my exhaust and saw the V&H stamp. He wrote me up ($99). My choice was to pay or take a day off work and go fight in court and risk an extra $50 court cost. I paid and stay out of Scott County Virginia. There have been several letters to the editor in our local paper citing rigid enforcement and warning people to avoid Scott County.

Attached Thumbnails Have you been stopped for loud pipes in SW-dscn0209.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've ridden all over Arizona and never had a problem. That being said, some of the cities do have "loud pipe" laws, but even in those, if you don't do anything to draw attention, you won't have any problems.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior

I had a CHP officer pull up behind me on US1 at at turnout near San Simeon he saw my WI plates asked me about our trip asked me if my pipes were stock I said no,(S&S stainless ovals) he said "just don't hammer it, have a safe trip"

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been through New Mexico, Arizona ,Nevada and California, never had a problem with noise. Both my wife and I run V & H 2 into 1 pipes, loud only if you hammer it.