Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pondering a Roadtrip, need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
elvisonsteroids
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pondering a Roadtrip, need advice.....

I am tentatively kicking around a roadtrip to go out and see my friend graduate from MMI the first weekend of June.
I have started the research and its 1870 miles one way. Thats NW Ohio, to Phoenix. I have allotted 5 days riding time but could probably do it in 4.
Little background on my bike. 2000 RK, lowered w/ progressive springs, apehangers and the bike has 38k miles on it.
I have never been on a trip this long and was wondering what are some of the biggest pitfalls I could expect along the way. Is fatigue the biggest issue? As mentioned my bike isn't exactly designed for comfort.
Am I being foolish thinking this would be enjoyable as opposed to a 5 day gutcheck not to mention the return ride?
Any advice or insight would be welcomed.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I think on a RK it should be a very enjoyable trip. Fatigue can be an issue if you let it. As long as you stop when you body tells you to and stay hydrated, it really shouldn't be a problem. Don't let a time schedule become your master or you will probably not enjoy it. I would suggest taking as long as you can and enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, and people you encounter along the way.

I would suggest having a good set of rain gear and something to put on if it gets cold. Even in the summer temps can drop in the evening in the desert.

I've ridden much farther in a lot less time on my Softail and think your King would be like a Cadillac in comparison.

Tell your friend, Congratulations. I went to MMI over 20 years ago and it wasn't a cake walk back then. The bikes today are much more complex.

Hope you have a great trip and when you get back home I hope to be reading about here on the forum

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
bbach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elvisonsteroids
I am tentatively kicking around a roadtrip to go out and see my friend graduate from MMI the first weekend of June.
I have started the research and its 1870 miles one way. Thats NW Ohio, to Phoenix. I have allotted 5 days riding time but could probably do it in 4.
Little background on my bike. 2000 RK, lowered w/ progressive springs, apehangers and the bike has 38k miles on it.
I have never been on a trip this long and was wondering what are some of the biggest pitfalls I could expect along the way. Is fatigue the biggest issue? As mentioned my bike isn't exactly designed for comfort.
Am I being foolish thinking this would be enjoyable as opposed to a 5 day gutcheck not to mention the return ride?
Any advice or insight would be welcomed.
I'll throw in some advice in here if you like. Frankly, 4-500 miles a day on the back of a bike is tiring. I like it and I'd take the trip, but it will get fatiguing. You are also bound to run into a lot of weather changes and those can be stressing as well. You have to be prepared for setbacks and if getting there on time is vital you might consider that fact. I think the experience is worth the trouble, but I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the trip more than the destination if you get what I'm saying. Also, I ride a full bagger and have a certain amount of comfort there as well.
Considering you are thinking of making it a 5 day trip, that equates to less than 400 miles per day, I think it's very doable. I think either way you will have good stories of the trip.

I'm going to add this: Go for it. Make sure your bike is tuned up and hop on and go. Don't even ponder it. Just go.

Last edited by bbach; 03-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey, it's 3700 miles. I don't know anything about how apehangers affect riding comfort, but it kind of comes down to math. 1870 divided by 5 days = 374 miles per day, divided by a 10 hour riding day = 37.4 miles needed to cover per hour. That's not alot of ground to cover, even with all the rest stops you might want. Why not go for it? Check your bike out before you leave and check it again when you get home.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know how the trip was when you get back because it will not be the last road trip you go on.... its contagious. You will find out a lot about yourself and your bike. Your limits may get tested but it will give you good insight into any "next" trip you take.

Go and enjoy the ride!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Bikenator
Club Member

Sounds like a great ride!
You might think about:
a windshield,
ear buds to cut down on wind noise (which really adds to fatigue) and lets you listen to your tunes/radio on.
Wear 1 day's clothing, carry 1 day's clothing as a spare...no more than 2 days spare clothing max in a bag or pack that's easy to put on/take off the bike.
Take care of your body and do not push hard to get there.
Avoid riding at night if possible.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Do a test ride. On a weekend do 2 500 mile days. See how you feel.

This will give you some insight on what to expect.
Pick a destination, go to it and spend the night in a hotel.
Get up the next morning and head home.
Thats all there is to it!
Could you do that 2 times in a row? After your test ride you will know.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
elvisonsteroids
Advanced

I had actually allowed 5 days riding, one day to recover upon arrival and then the 7th thru the 11th day would be the festivities and then the same 5days allotted w/ one day to recover b4 returning to work. Sounds like I can break my day travel down some.
The bike was completely serviced in Feb. so thats not an issue.......Guess I need to do the 500 mile out 500 mile back test to put my mind at ease that its doable.
Thanks for everyones input, I will repost upon a final decision.