Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arches & Canyonlands Nat'l Parks, & Monument Valley

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Went to Moab last Sept. We hauled dirt bikes out. I have to say that when on pavement (for which there were many opportunities), I was wishing I was on an Ultra. The roads were great and the scenery amazing. You can't go wrong on pretty much any paved road in the area. Some paved ends with gravel so if you don't want to do that, be prepared to do an "out and back" instead of a loop. Arches is nice. I would recommend late afternoon/early evening (great light and photo ops/less traffic) unless you want to spend time hiking. That said, my opinion is there is no better way to see the Moab area than off pavement. Fortunately, there are many jeep tours and you can even rent a jeep. That's what I would do next time. If you do that, make sure you do Gemini Bridges and White Rim. Beautiful!

PS - Stayed at Motel 6. Would not repeat. Also, bed bugs have been an issue in many areas. I would do a search on that topic in any area you visit - especially Moab. Just sayin.

This is Monitor/Merrimac. Not Harley friendly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 04-16-2011, 01:14 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. We are going to try to fit in as many sights as possible in the amount of time we have. There's no way we are going to pass up Monument Valley, even if we only drive through and don't leave the highway.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deluxeroad
We are heading that direction from mid-May to early June. We used a lot of the great information the Ozoneman provided in our trip planning and are actually staying at a couple of places he noted. We hope you have a great trip and ride safe!
I've got a document I made that was our agenda and has some distances between destinations. If you would like it, I can send it to you.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Monument Valley is a wasted stop. Very nice! Don't forget Forest Gump Hill! I took a video using my Go Pro and it is on you tube. It is clips of the entire road going through Monument Valley! By the way we had some great food at the welcome center.