Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to Cananda ... Looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
mercury01
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know how much time you have or where you want to get to. If you want an incredible ... And different trip, make your way north through central BC to Bella Coola - you will pass through some incredible country, then across the Pacific Range, then descend through the mountains into Bella Coola. This is a town at the end of a very long fjord. Then take a 14 hour ferry ride to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. It is like a cruise ship trip at ferry rates. You will see killer whales, seals, porpoises, bald eagles, etc. Then you will drive south into Victoria - a little piece of Great Britain! Go on to Sidney and take the ferry back to Seattle via Anacortes, or to Vancouver Canada.

This is NOT a guidebook trip, but it is memorable.

There IS some gravel road involved.

In Bella Coola you must stay at "The Cannery" bed and breakfast (if it is still open). It's run by a a free thinker - utterly amazing!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Jasper, Banff etc., is all good. IMO must sees: In BC Hwy 23 from south of Nakusp up to Galena Bay Ferry (free) and then continue to Hwy 16 at Revelstoke is a really nice ride. Hwy 6 from Cherryville to Needles Ferry is incredible. Very slow corners. 20 kph = 12 mph. Remember that, your life may depend on it. In Alta. Nice pub right on hwy 22 at Longview. Awesome Burgers. Going to the Sun Hiway through Glacier International Park is gorgeous. Comes into Canada near Waterton Park. I love the sign at the start prohibiting vehicles pulling trailers, buses etc., (except the local tour buses). Not for the faint of heart. Google it.

Last edited by RevBlk; 04-05-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I'm not sure where Columbia Falls Mt. is but from Canmore and then taking the 40 on to the Highwood pass to Longview and then the 22 south to the US border can be done in less than a day.
Thanks. Columbia Falls is just west of Glacier NP, so the route after the US border would be south to St. Mary, then west on the Going to the Sun Road to Columbia Falls.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Thanks. Columbia Falls is just west of Glacier NP, so the route after the US border would be south to St. Mary, then west on the Going to the Sun Road to Columbia Falls.
Ok, now I remember rolling through Columbia Falls. I've been to so many places in the West there a blur some days.
If traffic is not to heavy in and around GNP you could make it from Canmore if you get rolling early enough. Have fun, I'll look for Utah plates if I,m around.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM
solow
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hwy #3 Crowsnest and anywhere through the Okanagan is great, lots of cool towns and because I am a little biased- Vancouver Island is well worth it- and if you do travel to the Island make your way to Tofino, you won't regret it!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lived in Alberta and B.C interior for several years, unfortunatly I'm back in the farm belt of Ontario. All I can offer is no matter what route you take you will be amazed. Get into the rockies feel yourself come alive!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I would like to ask where you're coming from in Washington State?

I grew up on Vancouver Island, and could tell you a few routes there. I am over in the lower mainland now, and just rode up to Whistler yesterday. [Brawler seat tryout].

The Duffey Lake Road is good, but it's too early for now. It needs a month before it is good to go. Then you can head to Cache Creek and get to Kamloops. Kamloops up to Valemount then over to Jasper. Jasper down to Banff. The road previously mentioned by Kootneay Lake was rated #1 in BC. You can head south to Spokane, or continue on the Crow's nest [through Osoyoos] and get back to the lower mainland.

Check the HD Trip planner, and you'll see some other variations.

Harry

pm me if you'd like info, I'll tell you what I can.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM
ronster2
Advanced
Default Border crossing into Canada

We're planning a road trip into Canada this summer. The four us will probably be crossing into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. I've read some of the questions that may be asked by Canadian border agents and one the question about "where will you be staying" may pose a problem for us, since we generally wing it for each night's accommodations. Must we have at least one address and reservations to supply the border agent or can we respond with a n "unsure" answer without being detained?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ronster2
We're planning a road trip into Canada this summer. The four us will probably be crossing into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. I've read some of the questions that may be asked by Canadian border agents and one the question about "where will you be staying" may pose a problem for us, since we generally wing it for each night's accommodations. Must we have at least one address and reservations to supply the border agent or can we respond with a n "unsure" answer without being detained?
Give them my address if you need one. PM me if you want it.

Last edited by skidder; 04-20-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by jazzy jack
Lived in Alberta and B.C interior for several years, unfortunatly I'm back in the farm belt of Ontario. All I can offer is no matter what route you take you will be amazed. Get into the rockies feel yourself come alive!
yeah i feel your pain..ontario has some nice roads...but no comparison to Alberta/BC..

Quick Reply: Trip to Cananda ... Looking for help