Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Superior circle tour - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 AM
joe mayo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the trip two years ago and if I remember right, it was in august. Left from Appleton to Duluth. Plan on spending two days there, great city. They have the Bayfront Blues Festival there Aug 12,13,14. Go to the bars on the 'boardwalk' had a good time. Head north on Hwy 61 along the lake..if you like waterfalls, this is the place. Make sure you're listening to Bob Dylans 'Hwy 61", just makes the ride much better. Wawa is a good stop and don't be afraid to take some of side roads, well worth the time. After going through the Soo head to St Ignace. Neat little town makes you feel like you're in Cape Cod. We stumbled upon a car show while driving through and ended up staying for two days. If you've never been to Mackinac Island, take the ferry out of St Ignace and plan on spending a full day...well worth it. We headed back to Appleton from there, but like another mentioned, Copper Harbor is a great ride..go all the way to the end. Beautiful country. It was a great trip and we just shot from the hip on where to stay, where to eat and what to see, you really can't go wrong. Enjoy & be safe

Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Frozenfingers
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend riding the north shore drive without reservations, but if you do, be sure to plan on stopping by 430 or 5. I've been caught twice... Last year I drove to International Falls before getting a room.. There is a lot of road construction going on in the area too, hotel rooms may be at a premium.

First weekend of August is the Rendevous and powwow at Grand Portage. Well worth an afternoon if you are in the area. For a quiet nights sleep with no phones/bar/television.. plan a night at nanaboujou lodge between Grand Marais, Mn and Grand Portage, Mn.. Excellent place, and great food!