Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arizona ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arizona ride

Hi all....finalizing my ride scheduled for the end of May into June. Plan to spend 7-8 days starting out in the San Diego area and heading in the direction of Tuscon. Once we get close to Tuscon we plan on riding through the back country near Globe and then riding the Coronado Trail to Greer. Spending one night at the Greer Lodge and then heading west towards ShowLow and Payson where we will take Lake Mary road to Flagstaff. Once there we will go through Kanab to St George Utah and then to the Grand Canyon West and go on the Sky walk. From there we will hit Vegas via Oatman and route 66 and then back home to San Diego. Moteling it all the way so we have a place to sleep off all the beer we will be drinking each night.

Any suggestions on areas to hit between San Diego and Tuscon? Or any other areas?

Thanks....Steve

Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you'd like to see some Cold War relics... About 20 miles south of Tucson is the town of Sahuarita. A mile or so west of there is the Titan Missile Museum - with the missile still sitting in the silo! Check it out: http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 AM
rdurantb
Advanced

I assume you are taking Interstate 8 out of San Diego. Going over the coastal hills is a pretty ride. Once over those hills you'll want to get out of the valley quickly and up towards Flagstaff as the scenery is sparse until you leave the Valley. I live in Sedona so I'm familiar with the rides you mentioned. However I've made it a point not to go into Tuscon on my bike, as it is a big city. The same with Phoenix. Lots of folks there think a stop sign is a suggestion. I do spend lots of time in Scottsdale, but not on my bike.

It might be a good thing to stay east of Phoenix and go up through Wickenburg, Prescott, Jerome and into Sedona. This is a very interesting and beautiful ride once you climb out of Wickenburg but while it is easier access for you, it isn't as nice as the ride from east of Phoenix to Flagstaff.

The ride from the east side of Phoenix to Payson has spectacular views. Out of Payson, through Strawberry and eventually onto Lake Mary Road and into Flagstaff is more than spectacular. Great bike ride.

So, unless you are set on seeing Tuscon I'd be tempted to stay on 8 until Gila Bend then north to 10 and then take the 101 loop north around the west side of Phoenix. I'd go on around Phoenix on the 101 into North Scottsdale and I'd take the E. Frank Lloyd Wright exit and head east out of town. This will connect you to Shea which will lead you to 87 and up to Payson. Minimum of fuss as the heaviest traffic is south Phoenix and surrounding cities. I know some great restaurants in Scottsdale near this route. Also you pass two great Harley dealers on this route. Once out of Phoenix the ride is spectacular.

Now, here's the best part: with the time you save not going to Tuscon you can ride to Sedona. Probably the most spectacular area on the entire ride you mentioned.
The best way to see Sedona from your route into Flagstaff is to turn off Lake Mary Rd just as you are entering Flagstaff. You will go under the freeway and Lake Mary Rd ends and hits Alt 89, going south to Sedona (left). That road is about 28 miles and it is a canyon road that is spectacular. You drop thousands of feet and you ride next to the Oak Creek and the views are wonderful.
Once into Sedona there is lots to see. You can eat at the shops in Telaquepaque (Oak Crek Brewery) or a million other spots. You'll want to ride the Sedona area just for the views. (If you are interested I can give you lots of suggestions for rides and eating in the Sedona/Flagstaff area.)

My only other suggestion is as you head toward Kanab. Don't be tempted to go to Page. Not unless you want to see something like Antelope Canyon, which is a day trip itself and probably worth the time if you have it (it's not a ride, but a walking tour). Otherwise, the best ride to Kanab is through the Jacobs Lake area. Nice forest and high country; right in the middle of the high desert. You'll go right past the Vermillion Cliffs which are just after you cross Marble Canyon. The Cliffs at dusk are fabulous, but that would put you into the forest a little to late.

There are a ton of other things I could suggest but I don't want to take your time. If you are interested shoot me an email or answer this message. Probably the best would be for you to let me know you're interested and I can answer by email so we don't spend folk's time on all the details.

Hotels in Sedona run high, but that may not be an issue for you on this trip.

No matter what route you take, the ride should be exceptional by any standard.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Trip

Sounds like a great trip. You do realize that to get to the Grand Canyon west and the skywalk is not paved all the way. Portions are gravel and can make for an exciting trip. Also, the Skywalk is owned by the local Indian tribe and their price to go out on the skywalk is a bit steep. Don't remember exactly how much but it was more than a few dollars. Also, they don't allow cameras out there either. What route are you taking from ST George? Because to get to the Skywalk you have to either come through Las Vegas or Kingman, AZ. Which means you will be doing some back tracking. I would suggest do Las Vegas after St George, then the skywalk, then Oatman then to San Diego. Anyway I have ridden on almost all of these areas and you will enjoy the ride.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. Luckily for me, on this trip, the money is no issue. We had to cancel our ride to New Orleans due to some of the guys schedules so we pared down the ride and two of us are going. It cut the money and time away in half and therefore my wife is very happy. I am not to worried about the gravel as I rode to the top of Mt. Washington on my Laconia trip and that was a knuckle raiser but manageable. My motor training and experience before I retired is a huge bonus.

I have thought about having to double back for the skywalk and that is a good suggestion fishcop...thanks. Rdurantb....I will not be going into Tuscon or anywhere near Phoenix so I think I'm OK on that one. Sedona would be nice but unleess we change our route we might miss it...but you never know.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hxturbo1
Hi all....finalizing my ride scheduled for the end of May into June. Plan to spend 7-8 days starting out in the San Diego area and heading in the direction of Tuscon. Once we get close to Tuscon we plan on riding through the back country near Globe and then riding the Coronado Trail to Greer. Spending one night at the Greer Lodge and then heading west towards ShowLow and Payson where we will take Lake Mary road to Flagstaff. Once there we will go through Kanab to St George Utah and then to the Grand Canyon West and go on the Sky walk. From there we will hit Vegas via Oatman and route 66 and then back home to San Diego. Moteling it all the way so we have a place to sleep off all the beer we will be drinking each night.

Any suggestions on areas to hit between San Diego and Tuscon? Or any other areas?

Thanks....Steve
Hey Steve ---- I had a sales meeting in Scottsdale last May & rented a bike for a few days. Never ridden out there. I thought about the Skywalk also, but a guy from Kingman talked me out of it. I guess alot of that road is unpaved, you have to park & take a bus to the Skywalk, and your bike will be parked for several hours in an unsecured area. That's what I was told, anyway, so I didn't do it. 1 of the highlights of my trip was from Flagstaff, a few miles down 17, and then 89A into Sedona. It's not that far from Flagstaff down to Sedona, so you can get back up to Flagstaff if you're heading east after that, but you gotta make time for this route 89A. I planned to stay in Sedona anyway, and 89A was the route I planned, but I had no idea what 89A was like until I got there. Fantastic. You won't be disappointed if you can fit it in. If you go to Mapquest, you can see what I mean by looking at that canyon on 89A, by going to street views on Mapquest, rather than just the road map.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I would also recommend Sedona, 89A s . Just south of Sedona is Jerome, a little town built on the edge of a mountain range cliff, we hope to go back some day and look around more.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
I would also recommend Sedona, 89A s . Just south of Sedona is Jerome, a little town built on the edge of a mountain range cliff, we hope to go back some day and look around more.
+1....the ride from Wickensberg to Sedona is well worth it. The Skywalk is $30 and the only one that knows if it's worth it (money and bike parking wise) or not is you....personal i would put that money towards a chopper ride over the Canyon......now that's worth it............

Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
d&k77
6th Gear

Another option would be to take 95 N from Yuma up to Quartzite, then east on I-10 11 miles to 60, then take 60 toward Wickenburg...

Quick Reply: Arizona ride