Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Michigan circle any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Beerswimmer
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lake Michigan circle any good?

I am going to be heading south from Northern Michigan to see my buddy in Chicago for a few days. I figure hell, I'm already a third around, might as well do the whole thing. Solo trip on my Dyna, no windshield or fairing(the best way!), go for about 8 hours a day. Stop at the MoCo, pee on Lambeau Field etc. Is it worth it, or just meh?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If yer gonna pee on Lambeau Field, Just stay home we don't want ya.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Lucky_one2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
If yer gonna pee on Lambeau Field, Just stay home we don't want ya.
God I hate cheeseheads! :-)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a lap around Lake Michigan a few years ago. I took 10 days to do it so I could stop and see all the sights. In Michigan, stay close to the lake and you'll find lots of nice scenic roads. A day spent in Macinaw City/Macinac Island is well worth the time. Also hug the lake in the UP and northwestern WI. I did not take the time to pee on Lambeau Field, but my wife wanted to.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

stop at lambeau to see what 4 super bowl trophys looks like. i don't think there is one in michigan.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
terrible1one3
Advanced

I've done the trip 3 times, each with different routes. There are so many great places to see if you are just blasting around it can be boring but if you stop in all the right places a bunch of fun.

On a trip home from Sturgis, my Dad and I did Deluth, MN to Lansing, MI north of Lake Superior through Canada in a day, that was truly amazing.

Copper harbor and everything by that area is awesome. I took the badger across the lake once, couple hour trip but pretty cool.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Beerswimmer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bagga
stop at lambeau to see what 4 super bowl trophys looks like. i don't think there is one in michigan.
I'm only here because my uncle Sam wants me here :/

Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Even if you're not a Packer Fan a trip through their hall of fame is cool. Door County has some cool riding. In Manitowoc they hacve a marine museum with the submarine cobia that you can tour. Going on board the sub give you an inspiring view of what our veterans endured serving our country. The trip across on the Badger is 4 hours but I would drive the northern end of the lake instead. AS previously stated Mackinaw City and Island are a good stops. The retired Cutter Mackinaw is there and worth a look. if you have an extra day I would run up into Canada on the Queens Highway 17 up to Wawa and back down. That is one of the most scenic areas on Lake Superior.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Planning also

Good day, I am planning the same trip. I have been in all these areas but not in one trip on a motorcycle. There is a good description of a ride on www.riderdiaries.com A great website for Wisconsin is www.statetrunktour.com
Worst part of the trip is getting around the south part of Chicago into Indiana . Taking Lake Shore Drive is great but the southern section begins/ends in not so great a place and getting there through Gary sucks. You might have to take I-94 in this area. Get off at Clybourn/18th Street and get to Lake Shore Drive. Driving Lake Shore Drive on a nice day is fantastic.
You can take 12/20 in N. Indiana. But try to get to Notre Dame (yes I am an alumni) Walk the campus will only take a couple hours as it is a smaller school than most think. See the Grotto and the Dome. Eat pizza or the linquini at Rocco's.
Take the red arrow highway into Michigan. Stop in Saugatuck and there is a place right on the lake that has the best fried bologna sandwiches. Grand Haven is also a nice little town. Many lighthouses to see . New Buffalo has a famous burger place that is worhty of the reputation
Mackinac Island is fantastic. Take a day to see it. See the old fort and have some fudge. If you have the sheckels stay at the Grand Hotel. There is another nice small hotel right at the dock . Make reservations though.
The ride through the UP is all woods, great scenery. Work your way down the Lake in Wisconsin. Look at the State Trunk site for suggestions on some routes. Not to many "border" the lake. Definitely get into Door County. Plan a day maybe two here. (It's the "thumb" of Wisconsin) Great Supper Clubs. You have to experience a Wisconsin Supper Club. Have a Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet with Olives (a Wisconsin State treasure)
One of the best is Mt. Greenwood Supper Club. Also go to Wilson's for Ice Cream and watch the sun set.
Highway 43 south of the Door has some nice views of the lake. Take 32 into Milwaukee. When there go to the Harley Museum . Lots of people think it is worth day. You can see it all in a couple of hours, unless you are really into Harley trivia. The restaurant gets good reviews, I think it sucks. Go a little west of the Museum and there are great Mexican restaurant joints. Or go a little bit further and go to Real Chili. A Milwaukee landmark with really good chili.
From Milwaukee to Chicago many take the interstate (94) I would suggest taking a few routes just west of 94. A good Harley place is Uke's in Kenosha. They have great displays and a wide selection of clothes. Go to the discount area upstairs for great values
Lots to do in Chicago,
Hope this helps, If you get some good information I would love to hear it

Attached Thumbnails Lake Michigan circle any good?-couple-of-bikers-max-and-guf.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Beerswimmer
Cruiser

Thanks riskmanager! Great ideas there!

Quick Reply: Lake Michigan circle any good?