Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM
mfhd90
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon

Can anyone out there tell me how bad the crazy people will be out and about on the Dragon Tail on Memorial Day weekend??? I have heard that's it's not the time to go because of the idiots on sport bikes?
any advice would help!! Thanks

Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,855 Likes on 3,504 Posts

If you go early in the morning you will be better off....weekend is worst...Yes the sport cars and sport bike riders are a little extreme sometimes and you will see them...With that said, it is a state maintained road with speed limits...Whenever i have been (5 or 6 times) i have rode fairly fast and pulled over when it was safe to let folks by...I WILL NOT PUT MY LIFE OR MY PASSENGER'S LIFE IN DANGER FOR ANY ASSWIPE....Use common sense and ride to your abilities...don't push it...not sure how expenrienced you are with twisties in the mountains....if none, it will be an experience....There are mo better roads in the area in my opinion...

Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 AM
mfhd90
1st Gear

Thanks I had heard it was hard to enjoy the ride because of tailgaters and people passing on turns, Thanks again,,,,,

Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mfhd90
Can anyone out there tell me how bad the crazy people will be out and about on the Dragon Tail on Memorial Day weekend??? I have heard that's it's not the time to go because of the idiots on sport bikes?
any advice would help!! Thanks
I think the dragon is over blown. It would be a good
place to test your handling skills if it weren't so over
hyped that every one and his brother are there. The
popularity makes it a parade of sorts, and encourages
the law to be present all the time. I much prefer the
numerous other NC roads, which by the way, I think
are even better. Also, idiots come in everything, 18
wheelers, bicycles, cars, and not just sport bikes. I've
witnessed some dandy's on Harley's too.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
purevil71
Tourer

We rode it last fall over labor day weekend and it wasn't too bad. We rode it Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon, and there were far less people on the road Sunday. We are going back down again this September, but not riding Deals Gap.

Saturday was pretty packed and we damn near got hit head on by a big dodge dually pulling a 40' trailer. We weren't hugging the center line, but going through a righty corner and were hugging the inside line, which I think is the only reason we missed him. And we still had to swerve to miss him. Had we been on the center line, or even the center of the lane we would have hit him. Scared the s*!t out of me and the wife, and when we got down to the resort we found out we weren't the only one's he had done that to. So yea, be careful!!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM
madmax54
Cruiser

If it's nice weather, you can bet there will be idiots on any mountain road, NC or Tenn. They come from everywhere, don't matter what they drive, they are in unfamiliar territory. You cannot be distracted, impaired or going too fast, your chances of being in an accident go up in a hurry. Keep your eye on the road and drive defensively, stay away from the yellow line in blind curves. I've been hit once, and the girl in the little pickup locked eyes with me while she hit my beloved Pan. We were going really slow, and I got off just before impact, I was in the ditch on my side. She was drunk. Coulda lost a leg on that one, but I saw her first and just knew the deal was going down. Make your own luck, just figure they're all out to get ya.
Later,
MM

Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM
elwoodto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it 2 years ago gonna ride it again this June. Want to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway this trip. Nice ride but the surrounding roads are just as good. Went rode it on a Wednesday, seems the middle of the week has less traffic. Still a lot of knee draggers. Police are very visible all over it. Talked to couple of County Sheriffs they called it the donor highway because of crashes. Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride if you get a chance.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by elwoodto
Did it 2 years ago gonna ride it again this June. Want to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway this trip. Nice ride but the surrounding roads are just as good. Went rode it on a Wednesday, seems the middle of the week has less traffic. Still a lot of knee draggers. Police are very visible all over it. Talked to couple of County Sheriffs they called it the donor highway because of crashes. Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride if you get a chance.
If you ride the BRP this time may I suggest The Diamondback Loop comprised of The Devil's Staircase (Hwy 80) and Diamondback (Hwy 226A). Here is a map of it http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.htm It is roughly about 30 miles through some great roads and IMO much better then The Tail of the Dragon.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Funny, I never seemed to have anyone behind me on the dragon except my buds! I enjoy it, but not with the crowds - I go for the ride, not the sights - of trees.
Trees I got.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,855 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabubba
If you ride the BRP this time may I suggest The Diamondback Loop comprised of The Devil's Staircase (Hwy 80) and Diamondback (Hwy 226A). Here is a map of it http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.htm It is roughly about 30 miles through some great roads and IMO much better then The Tail of the Dragon.
80 going up is awesome....The valleys make the pipe music some of the best tunes i have heard....226 is nice... also challenging...I like the rattler up to Jonas Ridge to...28 from Fontana to SC border is also nice.

Quick Reply: Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon