Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpr8r
The Salty Dog (http://dininginthesmokies.com/_maggie/aasaldog.htm)

Excellent food. Friendly people. Great atmosphere. Reasonable prices. TRY THE DESSERTS!
+1 on the Salty Dog and beside it helps my bonus if you eat there.....lol (the company I work for delivers there).

Also in Waynesville and Franklin is a place called Fat Buddies Ribs and BBQ http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/ man the food is killer and I suggest the "Pig Out" it is great for two and both will be full when you are done.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nabubba
+1 on the Salty Dog and beside it helps my bonus if you eat there.....lol (the company I work for delivers there).
Do you supply those oysters? Man, the ones I had there were better than what I used to get at the shore in New Jersey. If you do, where do they come from? Not only are they large, they give you a lot too!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Do you supply those oysters? Man, the ones I had there were better than what I used to get at the shore in New Jersey. If you do, where do they come from? Not only are they large, they give you a lot too!
Not sure if we supply them but if we do most of our fresh oysters come from the North Carolina coast. I will find out if we do supply them though when I see that driver that runs that area.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The area is the best riding area that I've ever come across. The folks in the area are very accomodating and all prices are very reasonable.
The dragon is way over blown but everyone has to do it at least once.
For the unexperienced the Smokeys may not be the place to learn how to really ride a motorcycle. We were going through the Dragon one day and a full size grayhound tour bus came up around a blind courner full of tourists taking pictures as we almost got run off the road!
MagieValley is a great place to stay. centrally located and lots of places to stay and the Salty Dog, a sports bar and a recent biker bar with frisky lesbins are good bets.
Just ride your ride and hug the inside, not center line, and that may save you from a big problem.

Last edited by beammeup; 03-22-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by beammeup
If some think your are riding too slow , they can go f themselves. It cracks me that these superior riders have to demonstrate their skills on a weekend when most casual riders with their spouses are enjoying a nice ride. If they are that good they should time their rides at night to demonstrate their superior skills. Really very funny when you think about it.
Just move over and let them pass.... Try it, it won't hurt you at all...

Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,157 Likes on 3,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabubba

Also in Waynesville and Franklin is a place called Fat Buddies Ribs and BBQ http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/ man the food is killer and I suggest the "Pig Out" it is great for two and both will be full when you are done.
Forgot about Buddies, i ate there a few times too in my business travels...The ribs are delicious...

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL @ Thundermug! I don't go anywhere to "demonstrate" my skills, I go to the mountains to enjoy what I'm good at - and the dragon isn't a "show" place with scenery anyway, unless you count the two views that aren't anything spectacular anyway. It's also a place to get in TUNE with your scooter, practicing your lean angles and feeling things out by repetition. Until you come up behind some dweeb who thinks the scenery (trees) is spectacular, or is just afraid to ride/drive.
Actually, those scare me worse than the crotch rocket who won't wait for your pulloff, but not many have caught up with us.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
LOL @ Thundermug! I don't go anywhere to "demonstrate" my skills, I go to the mountains to enjoy what I'm good at - and the dragon isn't a "show" place with scenery anyway, unless you count the two views that aren't anything spectacular anyway. It's also a place to get in TUNE with your scooter, practicing your lean angles and feeling things out by repetition. Until you come up behind some dweeb who thinks the scenery (trees) is spectacular, or is just afraid to ride/drive.
Actually, those scare me worse than the crotch rocket who won't wait for your pulloff, but not many have caught up with us.
LOL all you want.
I never said anything about "demonstrate" or "show", all I said was move over and let them(faster bikes) pass. You don't need to pull off the road unless you are in a car.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Naw, dawg, I was agreeing with YOU...it's guys like Beammeup who don't fit in up there.
Plenty of other places to ride like a tourist without ticking everybody off.
That's like going to college to learn how to read.

Last edited by Quadancer; 03-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Naw, dawg, I was agreeing with YOU...it's guys like Beammeup who don't fit in up there.
Plenty of other places to ride like a tourist without ticking everybody off.
That's like going to college to learn how to read.
Who made you the judge of who "fits in" and who doesn't "fit in"? Try this.....don't worry about what others are doing. If they are going to slow for your liking, why don't you take a deep breath, relax and pull over and let them get way ahead of you. Maybe then you wont be ticked off.

Quick Reply: Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon