Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,822 Likes on 3,498 Posts

If you take Wayah #1310 from Robbinsville go towards Franklin you follow the Natahala gorge, the is a little ( i mean little ) cafe on Natahala lake (sign is really small) they have nice sandwiches a meals... Hole in the wall....Also if you end up (Recomended) takind Moonshiners hwy from Fontana to SC border there is a place in Walhalla called the Varsity sandwich shop on the right ...The food is really good...Bogart's in Waynesville serves a really good steak and Fresh mountain trout....These are places i have been a few times....

Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrown9079
I will be there at the end of April with a fairly large group. Some which have never been. Deals Gap will be our place of stay for the week (forget the weekends). Can some of ya'll give me some information of good places to eat. The destinations will be around the lunch time. Some of the places that are planned: Wheels Through Time, Highlands area, one day is a run to Ashville for pizza at the Mello Mushroom. Dinner should be around the Robbinsville area, looking for ideas there also. -

Thanks
Here is a day ride with lunch included out of DGMR - A group of us did this last year. Rt 28 is great, if not better than Rt 129, especially the part below Rt 74. Lunch is a The Dillard House in Dillard Georgia.

http://www.dillardhouse.com/restaurant/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Deal's+Gap+Motorcycle+Re sort&daddr=Dillard+House,+Franklin+Street,+Dillard ,+GA+to:35.16423,-83.49445+to:Robbinsville,+NC+toeal's+Gap+Motorcy cle+Resort,+Tapoco+Road,+NC&hl=en&geocode=FWstHQId rX3_-iEwGrFPgjTibw%3BFdGLFQId9qgH-yGoBeuGYMMzQw%3BFUaQGAIdzvkF-ylL3i82jC5ZiDF0rZQLqhZVZA%3BFfL7GgIdWTMB-ymhFrijXsZeiDFDnNdSoDE46Q%3BFWstHQIdrX3_-iEwGrFPgjTibw&mra=ls&via=2&sll=35.167634,-83.603897&sspn=0.323316,0.674286&ie=UTF8&ll=35.177 176,-83.755646&spn=0.646554,1.348572&z=10

Here is another one - lunch in Helen, Georgia - we will be doing this ride this summer

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.816864&z=10

HAVE FUN - RIDE ON.................

Last edited by Harley Guy; 03-20-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 AM
jpr8r
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Eat at The Salty Dog in Maggie Valley!!!!

Originally Posted by jbrown9079
I will be there at the end of April with a fairly large group. Some which have never been. Deals Gap will be our place of stay for the week (forget the weekends). Can some of ya'll give me some information of good places to eat. The destinations will be around the lunch time. Some of the places that are planned: Wheels Through Time, Highlands area, one day is a run to Ashville for pizza at the Mello Mushroom. Dinner should be around the Robbinsville area, looking for ideas there also.

Thanks

The Salty Dog (http://dininginthesmokies.com/_maggie/aasaldog.htm)

Excellent food. Friendly people. Great atmosphere. Reasonable prices. TRY THE DESSERTS!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDupp
I think the dragon is over blown. It would be a good
place to test your handling skills if it weren't so over
hyped that every one and his brother are there. The
popularity makes it a parade of sorts, and encourages
the law to be present all the time. I much prefer the
numerous other NC roads, which by the way, I think
are even better. Also, idiots come in everything, 18
wheelers, bicycles, cars, and not just sport bikes. I've
witnessed some dandy's on Harley's too.
+1.NC has much better rides than the Dragon.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Forgot about Pisgah inn on the BRP... just north of 276...MMMMM/// very goof Breakfast and diner...reasonably priced too...I think is run by the NPS www.nps.gov www.pisgahinn.com I ate there a few times, once when we stayed at the blueridge motorcycle campground...It was raining at the bottom of the hill but when i got up to the top of the BRP it was sunny and we were above the clouds and WOW ...it was breathtaking.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpr8r
The Salty Dog (http://dininginthesmokies.com/_maggie/aasaldog.htm)

Excellent food. Friendly people. Great atmosphere. Reasonable prices. TRY THE DESSERTS!
I like their fried oysters. Huge oysters and very good!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
jbrown9079
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep them coming.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Thing about the Dragon or that area is us Atlanteans can be up there, ride the sweepers and be home that night. Most weekends I just have Saturday to ride and it's nice to have a playground to go to.
My worst pass on the Dragon - some geezerglides poking along at about 20 mph that wouldn't use the pullovers for the cars, bikes or anyone! People were honking, screaming obscenities and those guys were lucky they didn't stop at the parking lot at the east end. They'd have been in some real trouble I think. They did that **** on purpose.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah i agree some people are Asshats sometimes,,, I try to keep the flow and ride fast enough to not be pokin...There is a fine balance of respect and safety....I ride it fast enough that it gives the OL some butterflies but not fast enough to be out of control....I rode it trying to keep up with my Goldwing buddy and it was a challenge...He can ride the crap out of that bike ...65 years old....I have too been stuck behind some that poke along and can be very frustrating but the too have the right to be there....Fine line and i see both sides...Quad you do live in a nice area...close to a very nice playground...It takes me 4-6 hours to get to the hills depending where i go...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Then camp! Iron Horse campground is a biker-specific place on rt. 28 east of the Dragon with cabins, tenting, and even a couple of RV spots. They serve breakfast, have a communal porch and firepit, and whoever asks first can look in the blue book of movies and they'll play it on the big screen in the main lodge communal living room if you have nothing to do. To the west of the Dragon, I'm gonna hit the Grey Wolf campground on the cheap ($10/nite) to ride the Cherohala and area. Here's the number: Odie 423 324-9653

Quick Reply: Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon