Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
80 going up is awesome....The valleys make the pipe music some of the best tunes i have heard....226 is nice... also challenging...I like the rattler up to Jonas Ridge to...28 from Fontana to SC border is also nice.
Yep Hwy 181 is a good road but sometimes has way too much truck traffic. I live a short 20 minutes from it and ride it often. Just didn't know they were calling it the rattler though...lol

Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM
madmax54
Cruiser

The good thing about NC181 is the passing zones, high speed curves, nice view near the top. The bad, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxIF3rs4FNA, which in turn draws the NC Highway Patrol in packs, especially on the weekends. I ride it mid-day through the week, daylight on Sunday mornings. You can have plenty of fun on it running 55.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like a pretty straight road to me. What's the point of the video?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Looks like a pretty straight road to me. What's the point of the video?
Have you ridden it? It's a blast at 60 mph or more..the long sweepers are pretty good ...

Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Nah, not ...yet. I get the most fun out of peg scraping switchbacks, since big Harleys aren't real speeders. Still, I enjoyed the Cherohala a lot because you could fan the big curves at speed while taking in the big vistas. Just not very challenging. Is it sort of like that?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM
madmax54
Cruiser

Sorry I didn't make that point very clear. The ricers that went on past the camera guy are the ones that run 120+, hit you in the **** or run into a guard rail and get carried out in 3 pieces.. which in turn brings out the NCHP. It is not a slow road, 55 is the posted limit, mostly long curves. 80 and 226a are more switchbacks and narrow roads, just different eras. 181 was widened in the 70's, 80 and 226a were built in the 30's maybe.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Nah, not ...yet. I get the most fun out of peg scraping switchbacks, since big Harleys aren't real speeders. Still, I enjoyed the Cherohala a lot because you could fan the big curves at speed while taking in the big vistas. Just not very challenging. Is it sort of like that?
I understand, it is a very nice road ...ride it one day.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 PM
jbrown9079
Intermediate

I will be there at the end of April with a fairly large group. Some which have never been. Deals Gap will be our place of stay for the week (forget the weekends). Can some of ya'll give me some information of good places to eat. The destinations will be around the lunch time. Some of the places that are planned: Wheels Through Time, Highlands area, one day is a run to Ashville for pizza at the Mello Mushroom. Dinner should be around the Robbinsville area, looking for ideas there also.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mouth is watering. My bike is ready but Uncle Sam said I couldn't take that much time off this year. Oh well, Sounds like its time to be " in between " jobs......lol

Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrown9079
I will be there at the end of April with a fairly large group. Some which have never been. Deals Gap will be our place of stay for the week (forget the weekends). Can some of ya'll give me some information of good places to eat. The destinations will be around the lunch time. Some of the places that are planned: Wheels Through Time, Highlands area, one day is a run to Ashville for pizza at the Mello Mushroom. Dinner should be around the Robbinsville area, looking for ideas there also.

Thanks
There will be 18 of us (Florida Crew) up there the last week of April, but we aren't staying in Deals gap all week...That'd be like going to Disney and riding the "It's A Small World" ride over and over....
We'll ride that area one day, and the rest of the week will be riding other roads...

Quick Reply: Planning a Trip to Ride the Dragon