Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Off to Big Bend, Texas...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Off to Big Bend, Texas...

I'll be leaving at dawn for a 5 day group ride with 6 other bikers from Albuquerque to Big Bend, Texas.
We'll be basing out of Terlingua, Texas, a semi ghost town on the edge of the National Park.
http://www.historic-terlingua.com/hi...ostown_001.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terlingua,_Texas

Terlingua is probably most famous as the site of the annual national chili cook-off, but the area is
also well known for its scenic value and is the portal into Big Bend National Park where we'll be spending
a couple days riding through the paved portions of the park.

http://www.nationalparkreservations....FQsGbAodWjGy9w

I expect to be back late on the 22nd, but it's possible I may divert for a day around Ruidoso.

I've spent the winter doing various mods to the bike, the most obvious being the Memphis Shades
Batwing conversion. I do a lot of multi-day riding throughout the Southwest and little by little I've been
modifying the FXDC to be a better long-distance cruiser while still allowing it to be stripped down to its
basic form in a couple minutes. All that crapola comes right off leaving the bike in its basic cruiser config.

Man, I'm really looking forward to this season...

Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck and be safe on your trip.
Lets us know how the Batwing works out.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

We'll be doing the same thing over Easter weekend, heading out from Houston. We'll make the first day run to Sanderson, then thru the Park to Terlingua, than back thru the Park to Sanderson again, and finally zoom home on Sunday. Temp's already into mid-90's during the day, cool at night. Looking forward to the first road trip of the year!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im gonna take that trip early this summer as well. Harleys look great packed up for a road trip dont they?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
hungry horse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like loads of fun......Be sure you let us know how the trip was when you get back......I'd like to know of any do's/dont's you run into and any important info you can pass along.....I plan on making the same trip in about a month for SE NM.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 AM
TReaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
I'll be leaving at dawn for a 5 day group ride with 6 other bikers from Albuquerque to Big Bend, Texas.
We'll be basing out of Terlingua, Texas, a semi ghost town on the edge of the National Park.
http://www.historic-terlingua.com/hi...ostown_001.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terlingua,_Texas

Terlingua is probably most famous as the site of the annual national chili cook-off, but the area is
also well known for its scenic value and is the portal into Big Bend National Park where we'll be spending
a couple days riding through the paved portions of the park.

http://www.nationalparkreservations....FQsGbAodWjGy9w

I expect to be back late on the 22nd, but it's possible I may divert for a day around Ruidoso.

I've spent the winter doing various mods to the bike, the most obvious being the Memphis Shades
Batwing conversion. I do a lot of multi-day riding throughout the Southwest and little by little I've been
modifying the FXDC to be a better long-distance cruiser while still allowing it to be stripped down to its
basic form in a couple minutes. All that crapola comes right off leaving the bike in its basic cruiser config.

Man, I'm really looking forward to this season...

So how was the trip? Me and several friends are planning a trip from Houston to Medina to Big Bend in May. Any suggestions as to where to stop and eat and site see?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

This is the right time of year for it.
Be sure to check out "Mule Ears" while you're there.

Attached Thumbnails Off to Big Bend, Texas...-dsc_0338.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to go fishing out there. Keep it slow on the driveway to the park. It's about 3 miles long and gravel. The area is gorgeous and you should get some great pictures.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the BB in April ( back in 98 ) and had some snow flurries on one day. Just hit a cold spell is all. I would love to go back there.
Awesome area. Hope you have good weather and a good ride.

Attached Thumbnails Off to Big Bend, Texas...-big-bend.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

If you head west from Study Butte on FM 170 and go past the Terlingua ghost town exit for a few miles you'll run across a nice little campground that's off the main road.
I don't recall the name but look for a small, white campground sign (on your right if you're heading west) IMMEDIATELY past a green roadside mileage sign 3-5 miles after the Terlingua ghost town exit.
The people are biker friendly, just stay to the left on the (gravel) driveway and go to the house.
It's all gravel and a climb to the tent sites too.
Electricity, a shower, hot water and a flush toilet are up on top of the hill where the main campsite is located.

Attached Thumbnails Off to Big Bend, Texas...-dsc_0239.jpg   Off to Big Bend, Texas...-dsc_0231.jpg  

Last edited by silvrbill; 03-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.