Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BRP to Charleston SC and back

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I left Columbus IN and took US 50 to Winchester VA. Then south on the Skyline dr to the BRP. Got off at Fancy Gap and went to Mt.Airy. Home of Andy Griffith. Mayberry was name after Mt. Airy. We got back on BRP and followed to the end. The the Cherahala and back home. We have also been to Charleston. Must see in my book, The citadel, Ft.Sumter, the Battery, anywhere SOB and some SNOB. If you live (South of Board) you are a SOB if you live (Slightly North of Board) you are a SNOB.
I am sure you will have a great time. You can take I74 to Cincy and around the South loop to US 50. Once in West Virgina take the Robert Byrd Hwy (US 50) on east. Good road until Grafton WV. but it gets good again. We took two days but you can do it in one about 580 from Columbus to Winchester VA. good luck

Last edited by Nellybelle; 03-23-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Etstrine: thanks for the food reviews and recommendations. I'll definitely check out their websites in advance. Wife has to wait for two pregnant women on her team to come off of FMLA, so we are looking at end of June or beginning of July to come that way. We'll pick a week that does not have July 4th in it, since people travel a lot for that holiday on vacation. We can definitely hit you up and meet for a drink when come along that way!

Nellybelle: Didn't realize you were a little south of us, my wife grew up in that area. I've been debating which way to go on the BRP, not sure of that yet. By a week later, wife will be ready to slab back home I'm sure. However, if we stay off the slab, I've been looking at US50, seems to be more enjoyable of a ride than doing the Interstates for sure.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mastery & Nellybelle,
We lived in north central Ohio until 97 and still go back to visit family. When we take the bike we will pick up 23 at Asheville, NC and take that all the way north of Columbus. It is a four lane highway but not limited access and going through Kentucky, Virginia and North Carolina is really a nice scenic drive that allows you to make pretty decent time. If you ever go that route and are looking for a place to overnight, we have roomed and camped at Jenny Wiley State Park in KY a few times and really like it. The restaurant in the lodge has good food and is reasonably priced.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
chrishicks3603
Novice

. We both love good food...but would like suggestions of good places to eat that are more economical...I don't think you need to spend $50 per plate to get good food...some of the best places I've found to eat are mom-and-pops for cheaper than ten bucks.

For good seafood try shem creek bar and grill just over the big bridge. Nice little fishing camp kinda palce.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Sparky15
1st Gear

Stayed in Charleston, SC w/o bike. Can't park in many lots w/bike, something to do with the gates at the entrances/exits. Our hotel had free parking offered in one of these lots, adjacent to hotel. You can park on the streets, up to six bikes per metered spot.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but I'm from out of town and have googled the BRP with no success. I ask because I am going to SC next week to ride east to LA and this thread has me intrigued as to what is the BRP?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR28
Excuse my ignorance but I'm from out of town and have googled the BRP with no success. I ask because I am going to SC next week to ride east to LA and this thread has me intrigued as to what is the BRP?

BRP=Blue Ridge Parkway....a scenic drive about 460 miles thru the Great Smoky Mountains National Park....if you are close by you should check it out...www.nps.gov/blri

Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR28
Like already stated, it's the Blue Ridge Parkway. Supposedly one of the best riding areas in the United States.