Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Independence Pass, CO

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Independence Pass, CO

I rode from Grand Junction, CO thru Glenwood Springs to Aspen to Independence Pass and back. I recommend this ride - though it can get pretty cold in higher elevations, so be prepared.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When did you do this? If you did this recently, how were the roads? Sandy? or pretty clean. I am going to do this as soon as my bike gets here next week but I am on the other side of the mountains and not sure how the higher elevations are yet as far as road conditions.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

thats a nice ride up there. you will need to wait till june to get up there i believe. they close the roads in the winter.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was taken July 4, 1995.

The road was darn near blown over with snow just east of this picture.

Gotta love Colorado!!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Next time go south on 82 out of Glenwood Springs to Carbondale.....133 to Hotchkiss and 92 to Gunnison area.....there's some elevation and possible cold weather too but it's an even better ride........

God love Colorado.....no better place to ride...................

Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey all - I rode the Grand Junction westerly route thru Independence Pass June 2010. It was still cold in the higher elevations, very cold at that, and snow all around but the roads were open. Once you go down the higher mountains you start to warm again, then up, cold again, makes for an endurance run but a challenging and fun one.

I also did the southerly trip out of Grand Junction to the San Juan mtn. range - that was incredible.

Yeah - Gunnison has some beautiful areas too - my work took me down there quite a few times though was in a SUV.

Last edited by Grizzwood; 03-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't recommend riding through our mountains at any time during or summers without leathers and good rain / wind gear. I've seen crotch rocket kids in shorts and flip-flops standing along side our roads waving down people and asking for warm gear to get them off the top. Independance Pass is a beautiful ride but there are several more in Colorado equally as nice.

Ride safe.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Colorado Scenery

Wife and I planning a two week ride this June starting in Denver Colorado then up through Dinosaur, Flaming Gorge, Idaho, Montana then Wyoming before completing the loop back in Denver. We definately wanted to take 82 through independence pass. Got any other suggestions on other roads in the north and central Colorado area?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

I went over the pass a few years ago in the car, it was a great drive. Went drove up pikes peak and the headed over to Glenwood springs. I really want to do it on the bike, it's just a long ride from Florida. almost need to take 3 weeks to enjoy the trip

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Independence Pass Co.

My son has a job at Yellowstone NP this summer so my wife is driving the truck with him to Denver from Florida. (He will have to ride a bus the rest of the way) I'll fly in once they are there. From there we're parking the truck in a RV lot and taking a huge loop thru Colorado then up to northern Idaho before turning east and heading to Glacier NP. After that we will go down to Yellowstone and bug my son while he is working. It's almost a 3500 mile bike trip thru the mountains. We ride back thru to Denver and then we will drive back home in the truck 4th of July weekend. I have been thru the mid and southern states many times on motorcycles so this trip that is not the focal point. Every year we plan at least one large ride then figure out, A. How to get time off work to do it. B. How to pay for it. That's how we get a 3 week trip into two weeks vacation time. Sort of like 3 pounds of **** in a 2 pound bag, but it works! We do it almost every year.

Quick Reply: Independence Pass, CO