Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Independence Pass, CO

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like there are millions of great roads in Colorado. But you have to watch out for weather up in the mountains. It can go from sunny and the 70s to thunderstorms and the 40s in less than an hour. If your planning a trip to Colorado, check the weather forecast EVERY day. And pack leathers and rain gear

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 AM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Independence Pass Co.

Thanks for the tip. I've been riding Harleys for 35 years so you can say I've tried a lot of different riding gear in that period of time. Gave up leather years ago. My wife and I use water proof gore-tex instead. Best I've seen are the Aerostitch brand out of Minnesota. Harley FXRG riding jackets with Aerostitch pants are what we use. They breath and are completely waterproof. You can layer up or down underneath to adjust to the climate. Rode to Alaska last year in many all day rains and stayed nice and dry.

The passes in Colorado overall are higher than just about anywhere else I've been in the US. coming out of Denver we are planning on stopping at Mt. Evans outside of Idaho Springs Co. That looks like an interesting ride up to it. One way in and out, that was the only part I didn't like. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. Are there other places around that are worth stopping at? What are some of the route numbers you know that are best when riding motorcycles? When I look at the map there's some nice areas around Breckenridge like rt.9 and then back south on rt. 91 to Leadville but not sure how congested they get in summer with tourists. I'm going to take rt. 24 to Leadville then rt. 82 and go over Ind. Pass. We got a room in Glennwood Springs then head up towards Dinosaur Nat. Mon the next day. I've never been on that stretch or road north of I-70 so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep saying this, but a ride thru Colorado would be incredible...each year I make it but not on the scooter.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TFTom
My son has a job at Yellowstone NP this summer so my wife is driving the truck with him to Denver from Florida. (He will have to ride a bus the rest of the way) I'll fly in once they are there. From there we're parking the truck in a RV lot and taking a huge loop thru Colorado then up to northern Idaho before turning east and heading to Glacier NP. After that we will go down to Yellowstone and bug my son while he is working. It's almost a 3500 mile bike trip thru the mountains. We ride back thru to Denver and then we will drive back home in the truck 4th of July weekend. I have been thru the mid and southern states many times on motorcycles so this trip that is not the focal point. Every year we plan at least one large ride then figure out, A. How to get time off work to do it. B. How to pay for it. That's how we get a 3 week trip into two weeks vacation time. Sort of like 3 pounds of **** in a 2 pound bag, but it works! We do it almost every year.

Sounds just like us, for the last 6 years we have taken a motorcycle vacation, I try and take mine around a holiday like 4th of July, this year were leaving June 18th so we won't have to be back until July 5 so we get 16 days. Now all I have to worry about is where to go and how to pay for it. Ive been almost everywhere in the southeast. Year before last we made it as far as northern New Mexico and back along Rt 66 before making our way back to Florida.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It wasn't recently...

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
When did you do this? If you did this recently, how were the roads? Sandy? or pretty clean. I am going to do this as soon as my bike gets here next week but I am on the other side of the mountains and not sure how the higher elevations are yet as far as road conditions.
A buddy of mine used to be one of the guys who cleared the pass every spring. they usually have it open by Memorial Day depending on the weather. They do that with a couple of dozers and a front end loader. Fascinating stories about pushing snow with a caterpillar ON TOP of 8 feet of snow... If you weren't aware, you don't want to get off camber on a cat, they slide sideways like they're on ski's... ;-)

Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
natetp1227
Advanced

Independence Pass is a great ride. Like mentioned earlier they try to have it opened for Memorial Day. Mt Evans is also a good ride. The nice thing is it is paved all the way to the top, some rough spots but you just have to slow down. Another good ride is 119 up to Estes Park. Rocky Mtn National Park is another good one. If you are brave take the old road up to the top, warning it is all gravel. If you make it to southwestern CO ride the Million Dollar Hwy between Ouray and Durango. Absolutley gorgeous!! A good place to stay there is in Montrose, there is a nice mom and pop motel on the main east west drag. Just outside Montrose if you have time ride through Black Canyon National Park, this is kind of an unknown spot. If you are down around Canon City there are 2 awesone roads to Cripple Creek, either Shelf Rd, literally, or Canyon Rd, both are fantastic!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
TFTom
Intermediate

We're goint to start out at Mt Evans. Should be interesting... I'll have flown up to denver from sea level Friday night then be at 12,000 ft. next day. My buddy said he tried it and passed out. Next thing he knew some old lady was squirting him in his face with a water bottle and tellin him to snap out of it! I should be ok. No over exertion planned plus I don't smoke so I should be all right. Thanks for the other tips. I won't be able to get to Montrose this trip. Maybe next year. Good reason to come back and do Gunnison and mesa verde. We will be heading north up to the Canadian border through the mountains in Idaho then back down through Montana and Wyoming. A couple thousand miles of twisties sounds good about now.

Leesburg bikefest coming up in two weeks here in florida. Used to be a nice get together but getting too big now. It's still a good event though. After that I'll start pulling the bikes into the shop and preppin them for the trip. Nothing like new rubber and a couple of weeks off to wear them out.

Later,

Tom

Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
natetp1227
Advanced

If you are up around Whitefish and Kalispell go a little further west to Libby. Just west of Libby on Hwy 2 is the Kootenai Forest and where they filmed "The River Wild" with Meryl Streep. The "Gauntlet." It is pretty cool. If you have a 1/2 day I would check it out and walk down to the falls.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
TFTom
Intermediate

That's interesting you comment about Libby. We are planning on cutting across Idaho on Rt.12 from Grangeville to Missoula. Once at Missoula I wanted to see more of Idaho so I planned on heading northwest on rt. 200 then rt.56 up to Troy. We have a room reserved in Libby. From there we planned on following rt. 2 over to Glacier NP. Is there a better road to take ove to Glacier than rt. 2?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife and I are taking two weeks this summer to ride Colorado and eastern Utah. Independance Pass came highly recommended and will be along our route. I am a little anxious about all the mountain riding, being a flat-lander and all. Plus my wife will be on her trike, so I will be constantly keeping an eye on her. Should be an interesting trip though, and we are really looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Independence Pass, CO