Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Louisiana to Yellowstone Trip Info Needed! Some Camping Involved!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree mikedetejas and thanks!

Here is the re-route for my trip:

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/379466

If you notice, the last stop is in Durango. Google maps wouldn't let me add any more stops or I'm doing something wrong. From Durango I'm heading back to Amarillo then home. Any other suggestions would be appreciated and AtticusFinch and Faber, if you have time, let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks,

Perry

Last edited by Louisianarider; 03-02-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I like your route from Jackson down to and through Utah. The hard part of your ride is so many great roads and limited time. You could easily spend several more days around Yellowstone. With it being early in the year, I think you'll enjoy what you've got planned and it will make you want to head back up there for more.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer

AddicusFinch,

Thanks for your input. I edited the above post which now has the route from Harley Planner. If I work it out to where I have nine or ten days for this trip, will it be enjoyable or will it be a "hurried" trip?

Thanks again,

Perry

Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you may be underestimating how long you need for this trip. You could easily spend a couple days in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, a day in Zion and Bryce Canyon, a day in Arches and Canyonlands and you're passing up a lot of the best of Utah (but if Yellowstone is your primary goal it's not an issue).

I did a similar trip in 2009 and ended up not making it to several of my destinations. The good thing about camping though is that if you haven't made reservations you can modify your trip as you go. Plan on snow and cold temps whenever you're in the higher elevations also. Independence pass and Aspen could be very iffy.

At ten days this trip might not be rushed but you're trying to cover a lot of miles every day and sightsee during most of them so it will take longer than you think to cover ground. I had a hard time covering 300 miles when going through scenic areas.

Should be an awesome trip that you will always remember.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer

Thanks for your input Hx3! I was thinking the same thing that's why I asked in an earlier post if my trip would be "hurried". As a matter of fact, I've been debating on asking for another two days off. If I do then I'll have a full ten days for the trip. I think that will ease my mind somewhat. Again, thanks for the input!

Perry

Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
RockyMtnRider
Advanced

Perry
You guys may want an alternative route through Colorado in case Independence Pass isn't open for your trip. Our mountains are getting hammered this year with a banner year of snow. CDOT tries to have the pass open the Thursday before Memorial Day, but some years are iffy. Mother nature !! Their website is www.cotrip.org
You will really enjoy Red Mountain pass (The Million Dollar Highway)
Doug

Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer

Doug, thanks for the heads up buddy! Also, thanks for the website. I've been looking at some different routes just in case. Any alternate route that you know of please throw my way.

Thanks again,
Perry

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd agree with the comment Hx3 made about mileage and time. 4000 miles is a fair haul. Even with 10 days off you have to average 400 miles every day. Sounds like simple math but with a lot of the ground your going to ride over 400 miles could be an all day affair. Depending how much sight seeing you do (meaning walking around not riding) you will likely end up having to do 500-600 mile days to get er done.
I'm not sure if you and your buds have made a trip like this before as a group. Even in a small group it's all about compromise when you start covering a lot of miles. As I posted before 3 friends and I made a 3600 mile trip out west last summer. We were gone 8 1/2 days. We did not do a a lot sight seeing off the bikes. For our group I can offer the following observations:

1) This chit is supposed to be fun so don't let anyone in the group turn it into work.
2) Real rides require real riding gear.
3) You have to be able to ride in the rain and stay dry.
4) We stopped every 120 miles or so for a break and fuel. Only about 15 minutes or so but over the long haul your body will appreciate it.
5) We were on the road around sun up and having a cold one before sun down.
6) We always allowed time for a good lunch
7) Having a GPS is a very handy
8) Having all the Harley dealers loaded in your GPS can turn a screwed up situation into a minor delay
9) Having a back rest to support your lower back is a good thing
10) Riding 450 miles on day 8 sure seemed harder than 525 miles did on day 2.

Just stuff to think about as you ponder the big trip!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
mikedetejas
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I like your route from Jackson down to and through Utah. The hard part of your ride is so many great roads and limited time. You could easily spend several more days around Yellowstone. With it being early in the year, I think you'll enjoy what you've got planned and it will make you want to head back up there for more.
+1. There is no way to see and ride every beautiful road. I agree with Atticus, enjoy what you can, and when you get home, start planning the next trip west.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thinking about this a little more overnight, have you considered starting your trip with the southern leg and coming back through Aspen? The extra week could make a difference with the passes being open or not.

Quick Reply: Louisiana to Yellowstone Trip Info Needed! Some Camping Involved!