Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning trip to pa, grand canyon (wellsboro, pa)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Rt. 80 west past Berwick exits and Lightstreet the Buckhorn Mall exit will provide multiple gas and food options. At this juncture you will be about 1 1/2mile from Vreeland HD on rt. 11.
You are also at rt.44 north. This road will take you through a lot of scenery up to Rt. 6.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default The ride

[QUOTE=Geezr Glidr;8007735]Doug ---- If you're staying a couple of days, map out this route for maybe the 2nd day, from & back to Wellsboro. You won't be disappointed with this one:
Wellsboro, 287 south to 220 south (to Lock Haven), 120 west (goes past Hyner) to 555 south to Benezette, back up to 120 west, to 219 north, to 6 east & back to Wellsboro. Kinzua Bridge is on 6 on the way back. Hyner view is on 120 about 25 miles out of Lock Haven. Even if they're not gliding, you gotta go up to see the view & just take a break. This'll be a great all-day ride. Eat at The Benezette Hotel, right in the village.

THANKS JIM, DID THE ROUTE ON MAPQUEST....257 MILES...5.5hrs or so.....great suggestion for the Bzettte hotel.....Hyner view....Kinzua bridge....all good for a full day...thanks again.....
Jim do you think on the 1st day up. depending what time, after lunch and checking in the lodge....a short ride incorporating the lookouts..east rim and west rim? something to get some fresh air before supper? thanks, D

Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went up through Hyner View day before yesterday on my way to a drilling rig.. Here's how it looks now. Crappy, snowy, rainy. ugh. I can't wait for Spring to get here!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Default Hyner

Originally Posted by jackjr
Went up through Hyner View day before yesterday on my way to a drilling rig.. Here's how it looks now. Crappy, snowy, rainy. ugh. I can't wait for Spring to get here!

SECOND THAT JJr, BETTER THAN ALL THAT FROTHY SH#T ON ALL YOU ALBUM PIX....YES SPRING IS NEAR & IMMINENT....adjective:likey to occur at any moment:impendingrojecting or leaning forward......and YES spring is around the corner....Best D. Nice scooter too Jack, what exhaust and tuner setup you go with?

Last edited by duglaura&flhti; 03-12-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 AM
hedgehog1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Know that view well

I was born in Renovo about 6 miles from this picture and still have a couple cabins and family there. I lived there until I was out of school. I still go there a few times a year. Still love the mountains. I have cousins around Wellsboro right on 287 and when they ride to Renovo and Hyner area they will do the 287 route to Jersey Shore PA and then 220 to Lock Haven and the 120 along the river right past Hyner to Renovo. Another even more scenic slower route they take is Route 6 west to Route 144 and follow 144 South into Renovo.
And if you are in to star gazing you should check out Cherry Springs State Park. Well known in that circle as one of the darkest night sky. I can put my two cents in. PM me if you like.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Default Scenic in deed

Originally Posted by hedgehog1
I was born in Renovo about 6 miles from this picture and still have a couple cabins and family there. I lived there until I was out of school. I still go there a few times a year. Still love the mountains. I have cousins around Wellsboro right on 287 and when they ride to Renovo and Hyner area they will do the 287 route to Jersey Shore PA and then 220 to Lock Haven and the 120 along the river right past Hyner to Renovo. Another even more scenic slower route they take is Route 6 west to Route 144 and follow 144 South into Renovo.
And if you are in to star gazing you should check out Cherry Springs State Park. Well known in that circle as one of the darkest night sky. I can put my two cents in. PM me if you like.
Hey Don, yes I agree its awesome in this area, we have a hunting cabin by snowshoe (centre County) and love it....Never riden the scoot in your neck of the woods....Whats the exact miles on the loop you posted? Starting from Wellsboro to JS, Renova, 44, 144 back over to 6 into W-boro?
Just feeling out time wise and distance for our ride in August....Thanks D and nice Scooter

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4 of us from Ohio followed Jim's routing advice last year on our trip and he did not disappoint. IMHO the lodge is a better place to stay for the night. The old hotel if full of nostalgia but after all it is quite old. East and west rims are completely doable in one afternoon. Take some time to scout your route cause there are a few shortcuts that can be taken. From the one side you can get down to the bottom of the canyon. We didn't explore this and I feel we missed a great part of the ride. Just outside Galeton, PA is Larry's H-D on route 6. It's just a great place to visit. BTW there's an ice cream shop on the main drag that is a must. Travel safely.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Roadkng
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went there 2009 stayed in Wellsboro Motel, it was a dive, agree with you, about the Gas drilling, all others were "No Vacancy".... Area was nice though

Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
hedgehog1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug,
Sorry for delay and as you read - the long answer. Wellsboro 287S to Jersey Shore, 220 to Lock Haven, 120 towards Hyner, about 75 miles about 1:30. If going up to Hyner view allow at least 15-20 min each way ( windy) save the sightseeing for the top. Highly recommended stop. On a nice day it is quite a view.
Small ice cream stand ( peanut butter sundae)just east 1/2 mile of the bridge that crosses Susquehanna River.
Continue on 120 to Renovo from Hyner. For food a couple miles West of Hyner - Tripps ( subs and pizza) on left side or a little further - Sportsmans ( more food choices )
In Renovo a couple of Gas stations.
From Renovo to Wellsboro via 144N about 65 miles and 1:30. About 20 miles out of Renovo small village of Cross Forks two places to eat Just over small bridge. Jeff's bar on left, smaller friendly bar. I think Jeff had a Springer last I saw him. Jeff has one gas pump as well. Larger bar and more parking across street.
COntinue on 144N to rt 6E to Wellsboro.
Total trip with the Hyner stop is probably about 4- 4 1/2 hours. + Food.
( Snowshoe, now that has nice views going across the top of the mountain. When I'm really in no hurry I'll drive from State College over the hill through Snowshoe to Renovo.)
Don

Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Default Thanks

Thanks Don and everyone responding to this thread, looks like we're set for the three day cruz with a local tourguide helping (Mr. Dunham) Other than that is there any VFW or American Legion in the Area or nearby? Did a A-L search and we're stopping by Jerseyshore post#36 for a greet & meet....Thanks again, D

Quick Reply: Planning trip to pa, grand canyon (wellsboro, pa)