Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning trip to pa, grand canyon (wellsboro, pa)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti
Planning a trip to Wellsboro, Pa with our local chapter here in Gettysburg, Pa. First time for all of us riding to the Pa. grand canyon.....Planning the ride in July and asking for any input to routes, motels, wine and dining and of course the RIDE. Thanks for any suggestions and/or feedback. D
Hey D ---- Just sent you a PM. I've gone from Wellsboro to Battlefield Harley & back to Wellsboro, in a day, so if you wanna take a scenic route, you'll have plenty of time, and I'd have to agree with Sandcrab. 44 north from Allenwood's a great ride. If you're going to Wellsboro & then the canyon the next day, I'd take 44 to Jersey Shore PA, 220 north a few miles & then 287 north into Wellsboro. That'll be fun. You'll have time to do that, and also from Gettysburg, try 34 up into Carlisle, and then 74 over the mountain. That's pretty fun. Map it out 74 to 75 to 322 to 35 to Selinsgrove. Pick up 15 north at Selinsgrove, up to Allenwood & 44. If you're staying in Wellsboro only 1 night, I'd go 15 all the way to Mansfield, then 6, and go see the canyon that same day. Then take a scenic ride home. I'm not in HOG myself, but 1 of the guys with whom I ride, is the pres of the Northern Tier chapter. You might even know Lance.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I am not a member of your hog club, but am really interested in riding this ride if the weekend is right. Are non-members allowed to ride in your HOG events?
Hey Frank, sorry so late to respond, had to confirmed the dates, Friday Aug 19, 20, 21. Your welcome to join us we're staying at the Penn wells Lodge, G-Glidr is working with our plans. Send me a pm for details.... Best, D

Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we went to the Grand Canyon of Pa we also went to see the site. . This is the bridge that a tornado hit. It is worth seeing here is the info for you to look up.

Kinzua Bridge State Park off U.S. Route 6 near the borough of Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania.
Its all good riding in that area.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kinzua bridge is a bit west of the grand canyon, over in McKean Co. The riding up in that area, actually most of that area, is amazing. I live in DuBois, which is about an hour give or take south of there. The road conditions aren't bad, and I'll agree that if you can get rooms booked in advance, you should. If you go over that far, you should definitely hit Allegheny Nat. Forest near Warren, PA. The riding and the scenery is exceptional. Pretty much everything north of I80 is amazing scenery. Oh and you should also check out Hyner Run State Park. On Saturdays they hang glide off the side of the mountain. It's pretty cool to watch..

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjr
The Kinzua bridge is a bit west of the grand canyon, over in McKean Co. The riding up in that area, actually most of that area, is amazing. I live in DuBois, which is about an hour give or take south of there. The road conditions aren't bad, and I'll agree that if you can get rooms booked in advance, you should. If you go over that far, you should definitely hit Allegheny Nat. Forest near Warren, PA. The riding and the scenery is exceptional. Pretty much everything north of I80 is amazing scenery. Oh and you should also check out Hyner Run State Park. On Saturdays they hang glide off the side of the mountain. It's pretty cool to watch..
Thanks Jack-jt. We're staying 2 overnites and confirmed the Hotel already....Now lets ride.....The Kinzua bridge/Dam is in our agenda with the a ride down to Benezette area/Hyner glide show and back for a cold Yuengling, Thanks again, Best, D...Oh, schweeet scooter by the way.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti
Thanks Jack-jt. We're staying 2 overnites and confirmed the Hotel already....Now lets ride.....The Kinzua bridge/Dam is in our agenda with the a ride down to Benezette area/Hyner glide show and back for a cold Yuengling, Thanks again, Best, D...Oh, schweeet scooter by the way.
Thanks! Btw, if you're riding through Benezette. Drifting, etc., keep an eye out for elk. They're all over the place up there.. The state has reintroduced them to the area and while they are pretty cool to watch, they also have a tendency to just wander out on the road and mess up everyone's day. Most of them are not as skittish as deer and don't run off like they should, more of a 'mosey' than anything..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Doug ---- If you're staying a couple of days, map out this route for maybe the 2nd day, from & back to Wellsboro. You won't be disappointed with this one:
Wellsboro, 287 south to 220 south (to Lock Haven), 120 west (goes past Hyner) to 555 south to Benezette, back up to 120 west, to 219 north, to 6 east & back to Wellsboro. Kinzua Bridge is on 6 on the way back. Hyner view is on 120 about 25 miles out of Lock Haven. Even if they're not gliding, you gotta go up to see the view & just take a break. This'll be a great all-day ride. Eat at The Benezette Hotel, right in the village.

Hey Jack, you got a new bike! Nice! See ya up at Hyner again sometime!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 AM
rffhunter
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Look up Denny's Beer Barre Pub. About 2 hrs. away, but worth it! Great food!
Have a safe trip.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by rffhunter
Look up Denny's Beer Barre Pub. About 2 hrs. away, but worth it! Great food!
Have a safe trip.
I'll second that.. I get over to Clearfield all the time (it's only 20 miles away) and Denny's has a fantastic burger menu, and it's a biker friendly spot too.. If you're going through there, it's worth stopping for something to eat.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr

Hey Jack, you got a new bike! Nice! See ya up at Hyner again sometime!
Hey Jim! Yes I did! I'm moving up in the world! Hope to see you up there!

Quick Reply: Planning trip to pa, grand canyon (wellsboro, pa)