Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska Trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM
aslater
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska Trip

We would like to plan a trip to Anchorage Alaska from the middle of Kansas.
Has anyone on this forum made that trip?? We would be interested in your insites and your route, also the availability of motels and gas. Suggestions as to what the roads are like, ect. Our son lives in Missoula MT and we would probably jump off from there.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There has been several forum members that have made that journey and one in particular that posted a great post with many updates and details about his journey. I did a simple search on"alaska" and found quite a few hits. I will see if I can find the one I am talking about, I think it has a lot of info in it.

I am always envious and happy when I see these Alaska trips as I one day will make that trip as well. Have wanted to do it for several years now, just havent made it a priority...

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
aslater
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply....In July we're going to Glacier and then to see the grand kids in Missoula. I retire next year and that's when we would like to make the ride.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok here is one link

Ok this is the one I was looking for. Its a good read and should give you some helpful tips...

Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM
orbiker
Cruiser

I'm headed up there in June of 2011. My wife and I are taking 3 weeks to do the trip from Oregon. I have family in Fairbanks and they will be starting their King Salmon trip during our travels up there. We will hook up in Fairbanks for a day or 3 and then travel a bit and then find their camp to go fishing. I've never caught a 40 lb. fish before. Shold be fun. After than we are going to take a Alaska ferry from Haines to Juneau. We will overnight in Juneau on land and then catch the ferry again to Prince Rupert, BC. From there; back to Oregon. We will be camping and moteling. I will be doing a trip report as we go (if I can find internet).

Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Al Brown
Cruiser

Here is a link to the "Milepost" that is very helpful.
It is up dated yearly.
http://milepost.com/

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Macker
Tourer

I've made the trip on my bike from Houston. However, that bike was a Trek. Someday I'll do it on my Harley.

Cymru Am Byth!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

You should go through Alberta and do the Banff to Jasper rout hwy 93 (the Icefields Parkway). The mountain scenery is something you won't soon forget.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are going to Jasper we live close buy and have room if you feel like spending the night. We have extended this invite to others on this forum. PM to make sure we will be around if you want to take us up on the offer.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you are going to Jasper we live close buy and have room if you feel like spending the night. We have extended this invite to others on this forum. PM to make sure we will be around if you want to take us up on the offer.
Someday Mr.Fox I'll ride up from Calgary with my wife and we'll stop in to say hi.

Quick Reply: Alaska Trip