Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us rode to AK in June of 2008 - 3 touring bikes, 1 sportster. We never had trouble finding gas stations on the AlCan. We didn't make any concrete plans, except for being in Fairbanks for the summer solstice and being in Haines by the 29th to catch a ferry. We rode from SLC, UT, caught a ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert, BC and rode home the rest of the way.

I ordered the Milepost and it saved our asses more than a few times. Don't leave home without it. Around lunchtime each day, we figured out where we wanted to get to that night and would consult the Milepost for hotels. Only once did we get stuck with no rooms and have to backtrack 50 miles or so.

Lots of rain in June...Bring really good rain gear.

Luckily, the rain kept the bugs away. If you can call that lucky??

It was a great time and I wouldn't change a thing. However, when I do this trip again, it will be on a dual sport bike with really good suspension.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,632 Likes on 2,098 Posts

On of our members, KTM Scott, did this trip last summer. He posted each day when he had access. See Alaskapade.com, its a great read.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:55 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never got to Alaska from KS, but when I lived in Concordia (KS) 8 years ago I rode up into central Canada, across to Vancouver, and then back down the left coast of the US before coming back home on I-70. I've also done a couple runs up to Alberta and BC along the Rockies. There is almost NO bad route when you're in the Rockies on either side of the border.

Banff and Galcier National Parks are obvious must-see spots along the way.

If you're into camping at all then try Bow Valley Provencial Park outside of Calgary (assuming you head that far north before cutting over). I've actually stayed there twice while on a ride. It's off of Canada 1A (the highway starts north of Calgary) and is a nice little campground with fairly reasonable rates. Best part, there weren't a lot of RVs to smog up the join when I went through in the midweek.

Here's the link:

http://www.bowvalleycampgrounds.com/

After leaving Banff I went through Yoho National Park on the way to Glacier and Mount Revostoke (I hope I spelled that last one right).

Here's a link to a spot I've used to plan a couple of my trips into Canada.

http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/43

If you can swing it, come back down through Vancouver and into Seattle before cutting back across. One of my sons and I did a loop from southern Utah to Vancouver and then back down to San Francisco. Anyway, back to Canada ...

If you do make it Vancouver and have at least a half-day free then hop the BC ferry over to Victoria, BC. This is one of those cities that is almost out of a fairy tale (and you'll have a ferry tale if you take the boat).