Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska Trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
PiP
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made the trip many times in a car and it is a haul, since your going to Montana cross into Canada there. Alberta is beautiful towns are small but gas and hotels not hard to come by. but once you get in the Yukon gas is farther apart and roads get a bit worse not so much gravel but frost heaves. Since it will be tourism time make sure to call ahead for hotels since their are not a lot in smaller towns and the truckers take them. When your in Alaska head towards Fairbanks they'll be a "Y" it's not that much longer plus you can stop and check out Denali or MT. McKinley to ChoChacos that Inuit I think for newbies to Alaska. Also Canada and Alaska summers are not like Kansas it rains a lot, unless you are lucky and catch a break in the weather. One other thing watch out for the wooded bison they live in the forest and cross the road when they want, it would not be pretty if you hit one of those.

Be safe and don't be in a rush and it will be awesome.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
orbiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you are going to Jasper we live close buy and have room if you feel like spending the night. We have extended this invite to others on this forum. PM to make sure we will be around if you want to take us up on the offer.
Thanks for the invite and PM. I don't know yet if we are going to go that far east. We were thru your neighborhood 9 years ago. We walked through Lake Louise Chateau in our leathers ( I figure the leathers cost more then the fancy suits) and we got snowed on going over the pass to the Columbia Icefields ( around June 28th or so). We stayed at a little B & B near Valemount. I think in the next few years we will be back up to BC / AB area again since we will have the passport problem dealt with and it is such a beautiful area.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
aslater
1st Gear

PIP,
Thanks for the information....we'll take it to heart.
Al

Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
Someday Mr.Fox I'll ride up from Calgary with my wife and we'll stop in to say hi.
Sounds good. Look forward to it.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Alaska Trip

Wife and I rode our bikes to the Arctic Circle last summer from Florida. A lot of guys have done it but don't know too many women who have road a big twin to the circle. Best ride we ever had. Two things I would say to you. Get a milepost, learn the roads and have good rain gear and warm clothes. With that every day was great!

Tom

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
duane5157
Intermediate

Go to the adventure rider forum. There is alot of articles on riding to alaska. Duane5157

Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you are going to Jasper we live close buy and have room if you feel like spending the night. We have extended this invite to others on this forum. PM to make sure we will be around if you want to take us up on the offer.
We met up with these two wonderful folks in Jasper, July of 2010. Had breakfast and great conversation with them. Maybe on the way home from Alaska in 2012...

Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello Trent, Nice to hear you are still touring around. If you go to Alaska next year stop in. You are more than welcome. Joanne says hi.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

While more extensive and comprehensive than you have proposed, here is a blog that I thoroughly enjoyed -- and incorporates some of the proposed trip you have in mind. There are pointers here from Shrug that every long distance rider should take to heart -- and also things to learn from observation and second-hand. (My preferred learning method for sure....) Check it out. It is a long read from start to finish, but his writing style is equally as entertaining as the conquest itself: http://www.alaskapade.com/

Enjoy the trip -- take pic's, ride safe, then come back and post!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
labelworkshop75
Advanced

going to be a bit chilly

Quick Reply: Alaska Trip