Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alternate routes to Sturgis from East

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternate routes to Sturgis from East

Going to Sturgis again this year from Frederick, Maryland, but instead of taking I-80 and I-90 all the way, I'm interested in taking some alternate highways, especially between Chicago and Sturgis. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

36 out of indy--mostly 2 lanes--straight there!!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Wadcutter
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

US 36 doesn't run to Sturgis. It goes across the northern edge of MO and KS and into Denver. If you're coming thru Chicago then US 36 is a bit out of your way.
US 36 is a good road across MO. Mostly 4 lane but not like interstate. Pretty easy going and lots of new pavement.
To avoid I-80 and I-90 and to see some other country give Highway 2 across Nebraska a try. It's pretty good 2 lane. Very little traffic. Don't run out of gas. It can be far in places between gas stations on a Sunday. It's a good change from running western IA and eastern SD. When you get to the western side of NE you can either run north thru the Pine Ridge Reservation/Wounded Knee or go onto Alliance and north thru Chadron.
2 yrs ago we took Highway 20 across Nebraska. It was pretty good 2 lane too but not as scenic as Highway 2.

Last edited by Wadcutter; 02-10-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I90 to 20 at Rockford,Il.

Quite a scenic part of Illinois as you get closer to the Mississip

At Dubuque you could follow the river road in Wis up to 90 or just stay on 20West.

I've not tried 20 west past Dubuque but have heard its OK.

I would do it myself next time out .

Hwy 64 is another route (2 lane I've been on it a million times)

Hop on it when your well out of Chicago , it'll take you to Savanna,Il then go river road

north to Dubuque and 20 or..river road to 90 or...

Slower routes but worthwhile IMO.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
NoDeal
Tourer

Instead of heading north from I-80 to I-90 in Minnesota, you can also stay on I-80 all the way to I-29, then turn north along the Nebraska border until you get to I-90 just west of Sioux City, SD. Not much difference in distance, but it seemed faster to me. I've taken both routes.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 PM
cybricon
Cruiser

Thanks everyone. I have come back that way, 90 to 29 to 80, and it was pretty good as you say.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could take the scenic route up through Michigan, up over the top of Lake Superior into Canada and down into Duluth, MN and then out to North Dakota and down to Sturgis. Or if you don't want to go to Canada, you can cut across the U.P. into Wisconsin, Minnesota and then the Dakotas. It would probably take a couple extra days but well worth it for the scenery on the south side of Lake Superior.

I also agree that the ride up the Mississippi to I-90 at LaCrosse is a beautiful piece of scenery. Galena, IL in the NW corner of Illinois (on hwy 20) is a nice place to stop and walk around.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, so first, I will admit we got stuck in Friday afternoon traffic on 90 in Chicago. We got to the split, and the group was broken up and it was too late. However, from there (after spending the night in Madison) we dropped down to 20 and took that all the way across and through Nebraska. It was great...a lot of one lane in each direction and local places to eat. It is pretty straight, but we went through corn fields, sunflower fields and the like....even got stuck in hail and a tornado warning... The main thing...gas...there were plenty of stretches with no stations for 75-100 miles so we kept on top of fill ups.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on crossing Missouri on 36. Much nicer riding than the I-70 deathtrap (not that much slower, either) and you bypass St Louis and Kansas City. But remember than MO is a helmet law state.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
+1 on crossing Missouri on 36. Much nicer riding than the I-70 deathtrap (not that much slower, either) and you bypass St Louis and Kansas City. But remember than MO is a helmet law state.
I thought they changed that last year.

Might try 36 through Mo and into St Joe, then catch I-29 North. Just north of Omaha catch 91 west and when 275 splits off stay on 275 on through Norfolk. It catches 20 up aways, and 20 will take you west across northern Nebraska til you get to Charon. Just past Chadron take 385 north. It turns into 79 and will run you right into Rapid City coming in from the south.

Lots of good 2 lane riding once off of I 29

Quick Reply: Alternate routes to Sturgis from East