Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rolling Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Rolling Thunder

Thinking of going to Rolling Thunder this Memorial Day.Taking
any advice on where to stay and what to expect without
breaking the bank.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

You would be best off to stay out away from the DC/Northern VA area. It will be a little cheaper that way and give you the chance to do some exploring with some nice riding. South of I-95 to Fredericksburg is where I would recommend. Plenty of hotels more reasonably priced.

As for things to do, I would recommend either checking out the open house at HD of Washington in Fort Washington, MD, or the I believe Patriot HD dealer has a big party on the Saturday before Rolling Thunder. Personally, I prefer Fort Washington (it is the official event headquarters).

Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
leadman
Road Master

Originally Posted by ABNRanger
You would be best off to stay out away from the DC/Northern VA area. It will be a little cheaper that way and give you the chance to do some exploring with some nice riding. South of I-95 to Fredericksburg is where I would recommend. Plenty of hotels more reasonably priced.

As for things to do, I would recommend either checking out the open house at HD of Washington in Fort Washington, MD, or the I believe Patriot HD dealer has a big party on the Saturday before Rolling Thunder. Personally, I prefer Fort Washington (it is the official event headquarters).
I will look into these.Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in the Fredericksburg area. Only 50 miles to the Thunder. I usually go at least to pay respects to my cousin on the Wall. In F'burg the hotels are reasonable, plenty of places to eat, good bike awareness by cagers. You can PM me if you need more info on the area.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
leadman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dallas 13
I live in the Fredericksburg area. Only 50 miles to the Thunder. I usually go at least to pay respects to my cousin on the Wall. In F'burg the hotels are reasonable, plenty of places to eat, good bike awareness by cagers. You can PM me if you need more info on the area.
I will.Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I second the Fort Washington Open House - been there several years. They also gather there and ride to the Pentagon in the morning.

I would definitely stay away from downtown DC, but there are some good deals in Arlington and a lot of the groups stay there. Last year, we stayed at the Marriott for $99/night and you are 5 mins from the Pentagon and and Arlington Cemetery.

I'm not big on Georgetown, but the the Old Glory BBQ is worth the trip.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went last year with two other guys. We stayed here and I think it was around $75 if I remember correctly. The place is a bit older but the room was huge. No complaints from us. Washers/dryers in the basement. There were about 100 other bikers staying there as well.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=09103

As for what to expect, I guess that depends on your expectations. My brother is buried at Arlington National Cemetary. I have visited his grave many times but never on Memorial Day weekend so it was especially moving for me. I'm an Army vet as was one of the guys I was with and he had never even been to DC so we both had a great weekend.

Expect crowds all weekend. It takes forever to get out of the Pentagon for the procession. We arrived at the staging area about 7:20 and I think we had wheels up at about 1:30 after the noon start if I recall. Despite that I enjoyed it and would do it again.

Last edited by Macker; 02-16-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Nightstalker88
Tourer

Foe those that want to go a different direction http://www.ilfreedomrun.org/ This wall was paid for by private donations, namely bikers...Also a run on Memorial Day. I'm going this year.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm also heading down this year for the first time; I found some cheaper hotels in the College Park, MD area. Planning on hitching a ride with the group from Old Glory H-D to the Pentagon on Sunday.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
13thBama
Advanced

I live in the Shenandoah Valley, which is west/northwest of D.C. It's about an hour and a half to D.C. and among some of the best back roads to ride a motorcycle. Skyline drive is out here and would be the start of a great ride back to Tennessee. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder