Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ohio to U.P. Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if you are riding around the lake, but check out copper harbor (fort wilkins) and lake in the clouds and painted rocks boat tour.

here is our route from 2 years ago

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
ed parolini
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slothy
not sure if you are riding around the lake, but check out copper harbor (fort wilkins) and lake in the clouds and painted rocks boat tour.

here is our route from 2 years ago

I live 5 miles south of the "I." If you have the time, take the ride to Copper Harbor. ("J")

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brockway mountain dr (think that was the name of it) was the cool road up near copper harbor that had some nice elevation changes and turns with scenery to boot.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to stay on eastern side of LP, take 75N to 23, which runs along the lakeshore all the way to Macinac City. If you go to the western side, M31 runs along the west coast. Take it until the split west on M-22, which goes through the sleeping bear dunes and you can hit the Leelanau Penninsula on your way. You can thereafter rejoin M31 through Petosky and Charlevoix, before heading northwest on M-119, which has been mentioned by others. This is Michigan's version of The Dragon, once you get west of Harbor Springs. It runs along the coast with tight curves,just be wary of tourists and sand in the corners (did I mention the dunes were nearby?). You can take M-119 until it reaches M66 and head east back toward M31, which will take you north to Macinaw City. Better yet, take M-119 to 81 for a slower but more secluded road that changes names to such wonders at wilderness parkl road and cecil bay. When you get to Macinaw and ultimately the UP, the roads are incredible and various depending on what type of scenery and where you want to end up. Just don't you dare come through northern michigan, especially on 2, and fail to get yourself a Pastie. God bless those baked pockets of heaven...

Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Don't forget to Rt 6 from Cleveland to Toledo. It is a nice ride right along the lake....

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you'de prefer to be off the interstates (as I do on most occasions) PM me. There are many different ways to go, and I've been on most of them. I'd run over to the west end of MI to Muskegon and take the ferry across the lake to Milwaukee and avoid Chicago traffic. Then come back down thru the UP across the bridge to Traverse City and back towards home. You can ride some of the best roads IMO in the state going this way. As others have said M119/M22 are must rides if you're in the area, along with US2 in the UP.

Last edited by flhxkiller; 02-12-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

23 is a great little road along the lakeshore, rode it many times to see my friend up that way. The St. Ignace info is spot on, go up around to Pictured Rocks you wont be disappointed... riding up in that part of MI is really beautiful and with miles of scenic riding. Plus if you want to come down then west side of MI you can stop in Sturgis MI and get a Harley shirt from the dealer there and say "I went to Sturgis"

Old 02-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,822 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
yep...you hadn't chimed in when I started typing my reply...great minds think alike, I suppose...
Yep! Great minds think alike ... and right now I'm thinkin' we outta be thinkin' sunshine and dry pavement! See ya on the highway.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
AJ_Rider
Intermediate

If you have the time, ride the outline of the lower peninsula. Either direction will get you onto some real nice scenery and pretty good roads. I'd also recommend highway 119 and stopping in Cross Village! I rode the outline of the state back in 08 and plan on doing it again this year!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:24 PM
builderbob
Intermediate
Smile

This will be our trip this year also. Coming from NJ, Rt 6 across Pa. Ohio 531 looks to follow along Lake Erie. Thanks for the Rt 6 tip from Cleveland to Toledo. Thats all I have planned so far. This is a well timed thread for me. Thanks

Quick Reply: Ohio to U.P. Michigan