Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Suggestions for PA Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Suggestions for PA Road Trip

I'm planning my summer touring so I dont keep spending money buying stuff to cure my winter bike-less depression I have about 9-10 days in July so I thought I'd take a ride from Vermont, where I live, down to Pennslyvania and visit the Moco factory in York, since thats where my EG was built and I figured it would be interesting. I checked the HD website and planned to get there on a Sunday night so I could go to the Factory Monday morning. After a day in York I've arranged 3 nights in Gettysburg. From checking out the map that looks like a good base of operations for some rides - touring the battlefield, checking out PA Dutch country, maybe even going up to Hershey.

Since that only accounts for 5 nights I have some time to take the long way back to VT or see other stuff in the area, so I was looking for suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
jharanin
Road Master

You can leave Gettysburg and head north on 15 to Wellsboro "PA Grand Canyon" take 6 to the west on your trip back to VT...nice biking road.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The area around Milford is amazing. You've got the Delaware Water Gap there, as well as some great winding roads. Out towards Gettysburg, you can go a little south and west into Maryland and ride old Rt.144, which is a phenomenal ride. There's also the PA Grand Canyon up around Wellsboro.

A lot of things about Pennsylvania suck, the riding ain't one of them.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:42 PM
attacker3x
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jharanin
You can leave Gettysburg and head north on 15 to Wellsboro "PA Grand Canyon" take 6 to the west on your trip back to VT...nice biking road.
Wish you luck with your of jharanin , kaka

Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Friday55
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to PA dutch country make sure you go to Bird in Hand which takes you to Blue Ball this leads to Intercourse and you end up in Paradise. Google map it.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:44 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master

after Gettysburg, take the trip south to Rockville Md., jump on the metro and enjoy the day in Washington Dc.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of nice roads here in PA, a lot of nice dealerships too.

If you're going to be in York, make sure you check out Laugerman's H-D right down the road from the factory. When in Gettysburg, check out Battlefield H-D.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Head 30 west from Gettysburg.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday55
If you go to PA dutch country make sure you go to Bird in Hand which takes you to Blue Ball this leads to Intercourse and you end up in Paradise. Google map it.
My wife thought I was making THAT stuff up..... we stopped at a PA visitor center... and among the tourist stuff was an "Intercourse Gazette"...

to the OP....Some of the best riding is right up the middle of PA. I live in NC, and we have the dragon, Cherahola, Nantahala, etc... and PA does NOT take a back seat to them.

In 2007 we toured VT and NH. Our return to NC route took us along US-6 (from US-15) to PA-44 to PA-144, stopped for lunch in Renova, then further south along 144. I don't know the conditions of the roads today... but they were great fun, 3 years ago

Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

When coming into PA from Vermont, I would look at a couple of options. I really like the ride down from Scranton on route 11 and 15. Some nice riding there. You can then follow that down to 322 and into Hershey. From Hershey 141 into Columbia is a really nice ride. I then follow the river down into York Pa.

When you are in Gettysburg, take 30 west. Great hills, great riding into Johnstown or Altoona.

The rides from Gettysburg into Maryland are also very nice.

Post your dates, and see if you can't get some local forum members to give you a tour.

Quick Reply: Need Suggestions for PA Road Trip