Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MOAT (Mother Of All Trips)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MOAT (Mother Of All Trips)

Well, here it is. I am planning a super trip to be taken at some time in the next few years, after building the trip fund and some leave time. I also want to squeeze in a few shorter trips between now and then to make sure that I can undertake something of this magnitude. Here is the link for the trip planner, but I'll summarize it for you:

1) Leaving Jacksonville, FL
2) Helen, GA
3) Deals Gap, NC
4) Washington, DC
5) Philadelphia, PA
6) New York, NY
7) Boston, MA
8) Milwaukee, WI
9) Mt. Rushmore National Park, SD
10) Denver, CO
11) Yellowstone National Park, WY
12) Seattle, WA
13) Run down Pacific Coast Highway
14) Las Vegas, NV
15) Grand Canyon, AZ
16) Phoenix, AZ
17) Tombstone, AZ
18) Houston, TX
19) New Orleans, LA
20) Return to Jacksonville, FL and apply Vaseline to my posterior.

Yes, this is a monster journey, which is why I am planning well in advance, possibly 2 or 3 years from even getting serious about it. But it gives me something to look forward to and obsess over for a while, as well as get input from you guys in order to tweak the locations and get suggestions. I am planning a blend of city spots with historical significance and natural, scenic locations as well. The destinations listed are not necessarily the only places I will visit and some are just mainly a landmark for surrounding rides/scenery/landmarks. The trip planner puts the total mileage at 9260.1 miles. I added an extra 1000 miles for riding in and around my stops and at an average of 50 mph, my total driving time comes out to be around 205.2 hours. If I drive 8 hours per day, then I will spend a total of 26 days driving. Adding 5 days to that for sightseeing and gambling in Vegas will put me at 31 days total. Of course these are only estimates. I will probably drive 12-14 hours on some days, and only 2-3 on another. This will more than likely be a solo trip since I don’t know too many people that are able – or willing for that matter – to take that kind of time away from work and family. One of the modifications that I may make is to eliminate the east coast spots (already been to all of them) and go directly from NC to WI. That would shorten my trip, or give me more time to visit the other spots.

My main question for you Iron Butt guys is; is this a pipe dream, or does it sound possible?

Let me have it. Thoughts, input, insults, buzz kills, whatever.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I envy you, like you said very few of us have that kind of time to spend. I do think your planning in right on. On my long trips I have averaged 52 mph, it doesn't matter if it is interstate highways or back roads and your plan to ride 8 hours a day is certainly realistic, like you said you may find you can do more on some days and less on others. The weather gets to be a real factor, riding 8 to 10 hours in the rain is really tiring mentally and physically. Sounds like a great trip maybe some of us will see you along the way.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

June 27, 2009, I left Vegas, rode through Northern Cali, OR, ID, Glacier National Park, down across Denver, KC, into Nashville (where I sat for a week taking little 200 mile day trips with a buddy) then on to PA for about a week, back home by way of Denver again. Got back to Vegas on July 28th. 10,100 miles and touched 23 states.

Yes it certainly can be done and if it were up to me, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great trip and one that can be done in comfort on the Street Glide....just hope you are not taking the bike that's on your avator! Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a great trip and no problem on the miles & time. I did a trip to Alaska this past June/July. Completed 11,660 miles in 29 days. I stayed three nights in Hill City, SD and two nights in Chatanika, AK. Everywhere else was just one night. Had a couple of days over 600 miles too. I was ready to do it all over again when I got back!!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Yes, this is a monster journey, which is why I am planning well in advance,
Sounds like a breakfast run.......

Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like a great trip! It also sounds very doable, it shouldn't be too physically demanding.

If I can make one suggestion, don't over plan it. I have a tendency to do that myself, and I've found that I have a much better time if I don't lock myself into a schedule. It becomes more of an adventure, and less of an itinerary.

Dave

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SoCalRoadGlide
That sounds like a great trip! It also sounds very doable, it shouldn't be too physically demanding.

If I can make one suggestion, don't over plan it. I have a tendency to do that myself, and I've found that I have a much better time if I don't lock myself into a schedule. It becomes more of an adventure, and less of an itinerary.

Dave
Thanks for the input on the planning, I'm just nervous about hitting this many places and over extending myself. However, it sounds like I should be ok. I'm really inspired by the positive feedback on this, makes me more excited about it. By the way Dave, I have my own favorite Samuel Adams quote that I thought was worth sharing with you:

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
jpalm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JackDupp
Sounds like a breakfast run.......
Better be one heck of a breakfast!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

To put it into perspective, my wife got her first road bike this past summer...a Super Glide Custom. She rode it 7000 miles on her first road trip, no sweat. You'll be fine, take your time and be safe.

Quick Reply: MOAT (Mother Of All Trips)