Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Any Spot Tracker/Messenger Users Here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
So please explain something on the messaging for me. Are the canned messages preset by Spot, or can you create them and upload them to the device? If you can create them, do you upload them to the Messenger itself via USB or to the Spot website? Can you edit the recipient list on the fly, assuming you have a PC with which to connect to the Messenger? I will have a small tablet PC with me with which I could edit my messages and send them from the middle of nowhere when I'm camping. But, if the Messenger just prompts the Spot network to send a message stored on their servers to my recipients then I would need Internet access in order to edit those messages. The Spot people aren't very forthcoming or those with whom I've spoken just don't know about how it works.

Satellite uplink bandwidth is very expensive. It makes business sense that the Messenger would just send a standard length uplink message to the Spot servers and they would sort out the details and forward the proper messages to the intended recipients and Spot Adventures site. This would partially explain why Spot hasn't released any plan costs yet.

Any insight appreciated!
Everything is done on the findmespot.com web site under your account. You do have to Internet login to your account to make changes. You can have several "profiles" of messages already set up or just change the messages for your current profile.

What I did on my Alaska trip was to send a message for the "Check-in/OK" to my family and friends something like "I am on a motorcycle trip to Alaska. Just checking in. Here is my current location. I am doing great!". That message would be sent to those on my email list each time I pressed the "Check-in/OK" spot button. You can also send each button message to the same or different email addresses.

For the "Custom" buttom I would send the message "I have stopped for the night. Here is my lodging location. I am doing great!"

For the "Help" button I sent a message for HOG roadside assistance with my HOG membership number and motorcycle information. I reserved that for NO injuries and only a motorcycle breakdown. I did not need to use that button.

The "SOS" button was reserved for only emergency rescue (I included my age, name, motorcycle identification and blood type, with a cell phone notification call to my wife from Spot.) DIDN'T need to use the SOS button either!!!!!

I would also turn the auto tracking on each morning and then press the Check-in/OK button to alert my family and friends that I had taken off on the motorcycle each morning and they could then review the personal website Google map to actually track me (all the messages can be set up to display on your map website too with your location). You can also turn on automatic postings to Facebook and/or Twitter. Also, you are limited to a certain number of characters on each message too. I can't remember how many but the above messages just fit the limit.

I carry an ASUS 900HA mini netbook with me on my trips for access to Internet at night. That is what I used to upload my daily pics and make any changes to my account at findmespot.com.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Very helpful, Jim. Thanks. It works as I figured. It makes the new Connect model appealing, but the service rates will influence my decision. The DeLorme Communicator is $30 for 100 messages and .50 individually. The Connect would use the same uplink bandwidth as the DeLorme, so I can't see it costing less to use. That business model won't work for me.

I'll spring for the Messenger and keep an eye out for the free/discounted service offers I've read about.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

The Find Me Spot folks have updated their web page with pricing for the Connect services. The details in the page text confirm the processes described above in previous posts. It looks like the usual subscription costs apply, plus a $50 type and send plan that includes 500 messages. The Connect can also send emergency messages without a Smartphone, which I like.

After reading all the details and finally speaking with a Spot rep on the phone, I think I've changed my mind and will go with the Connect. For $20 more in hardware cost and $50 more in services, I get the same features as the Messenger with the added ability to send detailed messages. One of the addresses I can send to can be my blog page, which is important to me.

Given that the Connect id brand new, I'll wait till next month or April to give Spot more time to work out the kinks.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Scott, here is an actual email message from my Spot Messenger today. I did a ride (it was 70 degrees here today!!!) to a HD dealer near Petersburg, VA:

Jim's SPOT
Latitude:37.25049
Longitude:-77.37033
GPS location Date/Time:02/02/2011 13:58:54 EST

Message:Jim is on a motorcycle ride today. Just checking in. Here is my current location, I am doing fine.

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://fms.ws/4BPAZ/37.25049/\-77.37033

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1

Jim's SPOT

You have received this message because Jim's SPOT has added you to their SPOT contact list.

Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
http://www.findmespot.com

Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Default Bought a Spot Connect Last Weekend

The Spot Connect is finally out, so I picked one up last weekend. My out-the-door price with a 20% off coupon from REI was $129.00. The real cost is in the tracking services, but I look at the convenience and insurance they provide for my upcoming Alaska trip as a minor cost. I bought the standard tracking, Type & Send, Type & Send messaging and the SAR insurance.

I considered the Connect's need for an external device to communicate and that device's need for battery power. I have two USB charging ports in my right side fairing compartment, so I can keep my phone charged on the road. I'll also carry my iPod Touch with the Spot Connect app installed as a back-up device in case my phone craps out. If they both fail, the Connect will send location and 911 information without a phone. I suspect I'll have bigger issues to deal with in that case though.

I'm hoping Spot or an aftermarket vendor will release some mounting accessories as I'd like to mount it on my bars for the trip. It comes with a belt clip which, upon initially seeing, I thought would be inadequate for GPS reception. It pinpointed my location and successfully sent a test message while I was sitting in my den, so I imagine its outdoor coverage with true satellite line of sight will be good. If a mount isn't available by mid June, I'll rig something.

I configured it with my Android phone and fiddled with it some last night. It seems to work well and will download any of your phone's contact email and phone numbers if you select them. I managed to get it to update my Alaskapade blog with the same mapping/tracking that it sends to the Spot Adventures page. I'll re-enable that when I leave in June. In the mean time, I'll ride with it this coming weekend and see how it performs on the road.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
bpete
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, thanks for the post and I look forward to hearing about how the Connect performs during your ride this weekend. I appreciate the info, I'm considering the Connect or the Messenger. Ride safe.