Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Terlingua, TX and Big Bend park.. 3-18 thru 3-22

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Terlingua, TX and Big Bend park.. 3-18 thru 3-22

Hi, everyone;

A couple friends and I have just committed to a ride from Albuquerque to and
through Big Bend in March.

Two of us have never been in that area before and I'd welcome any advice.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

we were out there last march and would not go back in march...went back 3 other times last year though. march is spring break time for public schools and colleges in texas. traffic is bad, no rooms available, roads to some of the popular sites were blocked off. they would let 1 vehicle up the road after 1 came out. camp sites were full.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Originally Posted by dan conner
we were out there last march and would not go back in march...went back 3 other times last year though. march is spring break time for public schools and colleges in texas. traffic is bad, no rooms available, roads to some of the popular sites were blocked off. they would let 1 vehicle up the road after 1 came out. camp sites were full.
Yeah, it's Spring Break here, too which is dictating the timing.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
tnbillybob
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been going there every Feb or March since 1989. You will definitely enjoy the area. I would advise you to stay in Alpine or Marfa, Plenty of motels available unless there is an event going on. There is a small biker-friendly motel in Sanderson - the Desert Inn - I think. It is locally owned, doesn't look like much, but is clean and reasonable. The owner even brings you a bucket with McGuires detailer, rags, and w/shield cleaner. It is across from the largest station/connvenience store in town, so you can't miss it. Be certain to ride El Cambre Del Rio from Study Butte to Presidio. An awesome ride - do it both ways if you have time. While you're in the Big Bend, take the ride to Panther Junction and to Santa Elena (sp) canyon, both inside the park. The Santa Elenea road dead ends at the Rio Grande, and you can walk across it and take a short hike until the trail runs out along side the river. Beautiful 16 mile ride in and again back out. Time permitting, eat at the Starlight Theater in Terlingua. As you're riding 170 from or to Presidion, stop in Lajitas. They have a 19 hole golf course there. One par three, you hit across the Rio Grande to the green- and leave your ball in Mexico! Backtracking a little here, but there are several newer "brand name" motels in Alpine, and lots of Mom and Pop's. You might google and make reservations if you don't like to "live on the edge" and "fly by the seat of your pants." At Fort Davis, try to visit the McDonald Observatory and be certain to ride the Davis Mt Loop, highway 166. Take warm clothing for cooler evenings and morning rides. Hope you enjoy your visit as much as I always do. By the way, there are two motels in Study Butte, ones a dog - Chisos Mining Company, used to be the Easter Egg Motel. When I first started going, 32.00, clean bed, no phone, b&w tv with 3 stations, and beautiful sunrises. It, and the other one, are now $100.00 per night, thus the recommendation for Alpine or Marfa.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Thanks a lot, Billy Bob!

That's really great info!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

PM me and I will send you my ride plan from Las Cruces......it will keep you off the interstate all the way down.

Later