Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Motorcycle Tour Companies

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Motorcycle Tour Companies

Wondering what the general opinion might be about using a Motorcycle Tour company for a tour somewhere in the US. Who has done one or more? Would you pay the extra for someone to put together the entire package? Is the value added by the tour promotor of planning the trip route, arranging all the accomodations, meals, etc worth anything to you?
Is travelling with a small group (10 bikes or so) on such a tour a plus or minus in your opinion? Sort of like taking a cruise but only on wheels.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I would spend the money that you would have spent (on the tour package) on a Zumo GPS. It is always nice for me to ride with a few other folks, but not nice enough to pay to ride with them.

And don't get **** about where to stay or where to eat. Use the GPS to find both of these when the time seems right. Unless you are traveling somewhere there is going to be a state or regional festival, you will not have problems with either--and you can choose what appeals to you rather than what someone else arranges. I would however suggest you buy the cheap AAA motorcycle/car roadside services. It is so little cost that the peace of mind will be worth it in itself even if you never need to use it.

Plan your own trip, take off on roads that look appealing, get "lost" and the GPS will get you back.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can definitely see some advantages to this. If you're in a place you've never been before hopefully your guide knows the best rides, restaurants, biker friendly hotels etc... You wouldn't have to worry about ending up on non-scenic roads or wasting valuable time. But I don't think they'd be for me. I may not want to ride at the same pace as everyone else, or eat when they want to eat. I may not want to leave at a specific time each morning etc... So, I see both pros and cons with the tours, but I don't think I'd do one.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

From my experiences with a couple of bus tours and vacation packages I would say no way, especially on a bike.
Travel companies choose the accommodations that are best for them ($$$) and not what makes a good vacation.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is down to personal choice and what you are looking for.

I live in the UK and I have travelled a lot. I visit the US regularly and enjoy planning and researching on the net. Also, I found people on this forum extremely willing and helpful.

Personally I would never go on an organised tour. I like to work to a very broad plan, identifying "must see" and "should see" and "time permitting". Thereafter I love to play it by ear, if I like a place I stay another day, if not I move on without staying. Accommodation is so easy, in fact everything is easy.

The prospect of being stuck with a bunch of people or a guide that is irritating leaves me cold. I would rather be with a mate, 2 bikes and lotsa laughs.

Naturally I fully understand that this is not for all, but my key point is that it is dead easy to do it on your own

Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't for my home turf (USA) but, I have researched using a touring company for a tour of Europe. Edelweiss manages tours of Europe and I've looked at their itinerary.

If you are riding in the U.S. post up where you want to go and, as mentioned above, you'll get plenty of help here.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
...Is the value added by the tour promotor of planning the trip route, arranging all the accomodations, meals, etc worth anything to you?...
FWIW, I planned and lead a group of eight bikes on a 15-day, 3500 mile ride four years ago. We left Georgia and rode to the Dakota's, Yellowstone, Arizona, New Mexico, and back east to Georgia.

The quality of the planning and ability of the lead-rider to keep everyone happy (as best they can) while dealing with last minute changes will certainly make or break the ride. Most riders really appreciate the ability to just ride and leave all the planning/leading to someone else (one of the reasons why most groups have few volunteers to lead even day rides).

I was contracted to do this ride and was asked to lead another group the following year. While the money was "good", the wear and tear on me was enough to say not again...at least anytime soon.

Organizing, planning, and leading a group you don't know is far more demanding then most people will ever know.

Is it worth it??? IMHO, that can only be answered at the end of the ride.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for in a trip and where it's going.

For me, part of the fun is in planning the trip... and then changing it along the way.

I agree that the money would serve me better if spent on a nice GPS.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guided tours

This is really a personal choice. Normally for our small group of riders I do most of the planning, routes, places to stay and sight seeing destinations. However, for my wifes birthday I decided to do a guided tour of Southern AZ. I contacted the Twisted Trails company. They were also featured in American Iron mag. (good reviews). We decided on a 3 day 2 night tour through Tucson, Tombstone and Bisbee az. The tour package include some meals all lodging maps and entry to all sightseeing places. The owner of the company was very helpful and friendly. He said that his tours are planned to give the rider a different look and ride than the usual route. In other words, back roads, and unusual off the beaten path places. Unfortunately, we did not get to go on the tour. Due to weather and some cancellations they were forced to cancel the tour. Any monies paid were immediately refunded. But my point in all this, is yes you can do it yourself, it cost less that way but for a one time thing or for a special occasion I think it is worth it to do something special. Just my humble opinion. Anyone interested in tours in Southwest check out Twistedtrails.com.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say no way. Unless you were flying somewhere and they also supplied the bike. If I were riding my own bike then I would plan it myself. I would not want to be locked in to touring on a schedule decided by someone else. I like having the open schedule to go and do everything at my own pace. Plus they have to make money, so you know you can arrange hotels cheaper by booking them yourself. With the internet you can scope out and plan some nice rides wherever you go. And yes a GPS would be nice, but a smartphone with GPS and internet access would also work

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Tour Companies